Thread: Need help data logging with apu1

Fuel Injected!

Need help data logging with apu1

Hello, I recently bought an apu1 and i am trying to get it to just data log for now. I have it setup properly in tuner pro per the instructions on moates. Stand-Alone Datalogging

1. Hook the APU1 up to the PC USB port and place the outer horizontal switch in the standalone, ‘away from USB port’ position (toward outside). It doesn’t matter whether the AutoProm is connected to the ECM chip socket because it gets power for standalone data logging from the USB port.
    2. Connect the ALDL cable to the car’s ALDL connection. Place the inner horizontal switch on the AutoProm backpanel in the proper position for your vehicle and mode desired: inboard=”10k across A-B”, outboard=”open between A-B”.
    3. Load up your favorite datalogging program on the PC, such as “TunerPro”, “WinALDL”, or “TTS DataMaster”. You may need to select an ADS file to define your datastream if using TunerPro. Turn on the key and start logging data! To stop, just turn car off and disconnect hardware. Keep in mind that in this mode, the hardware will not be ‘detected’ like the AutoProm mode, and that you’ll need to specify which USB Serial Port number (hopefully COM3 or COM4) has been allocated to the port in the datalogging software preferences.

Right now tuner pro just says connecting but never actually connects. I am not sure what to try next. Thanks

Electronic Ignition!
    Just keep trying until it works I guess lol. I messed with settings here and there in Tunerpro and switches on the APU1. Haven't yet decided what was best yet. BUT I switch the outer switch to the inner position for Autoprom mode, and if TunerPro is already open I hit the little plug icon at the top that says 'initialize emulation hardware' and hear a beep that it is recognized, then after that I can click the Acquire Data (connect/disconnect) button and I get live readings. At least for the ADC inputs. I can't verify if I was in Autoprom mode when I was hooked up to my cars ALDL though, or if it matters on the APU1. I'm new to it as well.
    Last edited by linville88; 02-10-2019 at 05:13 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I thought I posted detailed sure fire way of getting it to talk, try post #5: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...utoprom-issues
    If you leave apu1 USB unplugged, open up device manager, observe device manager while plugging in apu1, you'll see new USB device appear and you can check what com port it is using. From there you follow above link to make sure tprt is using correct com port.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by stew86MCSS396 View Post
    I thought I posted detailed sure fire way of getting it to talk, try post #5: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...utoprom-issues
    If you leave apu1 USB unplugged, open up device manager, observe device manager while plugging in apu1, you'll see new USB device appear and you can check what com port it is using. From there you follow above link to make sure tprt is using correct com port.
    Ill check out that link

Fuel Injected!
    Im not sure if its an issue or not but is there a way to tell of the aldl cable that plugs into the apu1 is ok? I noticed if I go into tuner pro and under the "configure plug in component" tab I can "test for valid user interface settings". When I click on the test button it does not seem matter if I have the aldl cable plugged into the apu1. It says "cable found and functional". Also I just noticed sitting here in a library that tuner pro still says cable found and functional and I dont have the apu1 plugged into the computer.

Fuel Injected!
    Ahhh...seems I do this alot...I've never tried "pass thru" mode only in APU1. Can you see it in the device manager? I think gotta have FDTI driver installed. Parking situation doesn't allow me to keep my toy close at hand but if I get a chance to test, I'll post back my observations trying to get it to connect.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by joegreen View Post
    Im not sure if its an issue or not but is there a way to tell of the aldl cable that plugs into the apu1 is ok? I noticed if I go into tuner pro and under the "configure plug in component" tab I can "test for valid user interface settings". When I click on the test button it does not seem matter if I have the aldl cable plugged into the apu1. It says "cable found and functional". Also I just noticed sitting here in a library that tuner pro still says cable found and functional and I dont have the apu1 plugged into the computer.
    For me, the 'cable found and functional' seems to be talking about the USB cable not the ALDL cable. With my APU1 unplugged I 'test for valid user interface settings' and it comes up not detected until I plug in the USB. Strange that it still says connected with it unplugged. Unless you didn't test again after it was unplugged but surely that's what you are saying you did and it still shows.

Fuel Injected!
    That makes sense. If you're suspecting aldl cable, only A B E M of the 12 pins are used and therefore only 4 of the 8 pins on the rj45 should have continuity.

I believe you're using 1227747? You don't need the 10k resistor between A-B, M is not used with this ECM so all you really need is A and E.
    Last edited by stew86MCSS396; 02-12-2019 at 05:55 AM.