Thread: LS1 with Mechanical Radiator Fan - Engine Transplant

LS1 with Mechanical Radiator Fan - Engine Transplant

I'm hoping to find information on how a 2001 Corvette LS1 can be retrofitted with a Mechanical Radiator Fan. The 2001 Corvette LS1 is being transplanted into a 1992 C1500, which had a LO5 using a mechanical radiator fan. Retrofitting a mechanical fan onto the 2001 Corvette LS1 would simplify (lower costs) for retaining the original equipment 1992 C1500 Air Conditioning system.

Possibly converting the 2001 Corvette LS1 to the Water Pump / Fan Assembly from a 1999 - 2002 Pickup 4.8 / 5.3 / 6.0 liter is an option?

Thanks in advance,
    dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    I am pretty sure you can just use the water pump and fan clutch etc. from the trucks without any other mods required. They did start running electric fans in the 2005 and later models though, so get one older than that.

Fuel Injected!
    I see no reason you couldn't just bolt the fan onto the LS1 pump.

If you get into changing accessories, you may have to use all the brackets and the damper/pulley too since that is a Corvette specific part.

Fuel Injected!
    I am fairly certain the corvette water pump pulley lacks the threaded end used on the truck style pumps for the fan clutch. The Vette accessories are also their own length. Seems like he would be better off finding a complete pullout 4.8 or 5.3 and getting everything. Basically pull everything Corvette off the LS1 long block and put the truck stuff in its place. If you are running a mechanical fan you will need a truck intake as well.

I think the far easier thing to do is merely install the dual electric fans, wire in the factory style 3 relay system, replace the a/c manifold hose for a 1995 that had a high pressure switch, then put the refrigerant pressure sensor into that port.

I would have to agree that the electric fan setup would be the best option. I'm betting you can get a good deal on some at the salvage yard and just buy the electric fan wiring/sensor kit at a reasonable price on line.

I'm not the project owner wanting to install a mechanical fan on the LS1.

I completely agree, electric fans are MORE THAN ADEQUATE for the 1992 GM Pickup with a LS1 engine transplant. I'm thinking the project owner is going for an "Original Look" or perhaps "Budget" reasons for the Air Conditioning.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I looked at my LS1 and realized it's a pressed pulley. I had been looking at another GM with the big threaded fan and it had a bolted pulley so was thinking the pulley bolted onto the LS1 too.

My only other guess is that a LS2 'Vette pump with a truck pulley might work. AFAIK, the truck and LS1 pumps are about the same, so if you swapped the truck pulley onto the LS1 pump then I can't see how the belt would hit the pulley. the LS1 pumps had a deep pulley and the belt ran at the back of it. However, the LS2 pump is shorter with a pulley about the same width as the truck pulley, so maybe that combo would work.

I know guys use the F-body pump with truck accessories to get the forward facing rad hose inlet. Some have pressed the truck pulley onto the pump so it must be possible to make the fan clear.

Maybe get a pick-pull pump from a truck and make some measurements. It's possible a pulley swap would work, but I'm thinking not. From what I've read, the pulleys are next to impossible to get of the LS1 pumps without destroying them, but they come off the truck pumps not too badly.
    Last edited by lionelhutz; 02-14-2019 at 11:55 PM.