Sorry if these questions have been answered somewhere already or if it should just be common knowledge. I can't seem to find the exact answers I'm looking for no matter what different searches I do. I've been reading over many threads on tuning and VE tables and tutorials.
I plan to do a 383 TPI engine build this year sometime and will be using 1227730 ecm with $8D bin. First time tuning and don't want to mess things up. Of course I plan to start small and learn as I go and right now I'm just tinkering with TunerPro and trying to grasp the concept of everything so I'll be ready to tune when the time comes.

-In the bin there is an upper VE and a lower VE table. Assumingly this is off idle tuning and idle tuning.
I understand the idea of driving around datalogging and filling history tables and adjusting upper VE through a spreadsheet provided by these forums. But how do you tune for the lower VE table? Is it the same idea as driving around except for lower rpms? Is it when idling in the driveway or coming to a stop?

-Should the engine be in Closed Loop or Open Loop when datalogging and tuning for VE?

-Do OL and CL BOTH run off the VE tables? I get a little confused about the o2 sensor or possibly tables being used only when in either CL or OL.

-Do I need a wideband o2 for any reason?