Thread: Fuel Injector Flow Bench ???

Fuel Injected!

Fuel Injector Flow Bench ???

Looking for feedback as to how you measure injector flow. Please chime in with whatever details that should be included. Should they be flowed static? If I'm suppose to pulse them at x.xx msec, what number am I shooting for? Assuming I'm going to be using the fuel pressure that injectors are going to be operated on said vehicle? Basically I'm trying to determine the flow rating of a set of unknown injectors.

Here's the background story...Working on a Chevy 4.3L V6 Holley TBI. Injectors seem to be going static when you pedal to the metal. Pressure is solid at 13 psi. Tried to Google search the numbers (RI-27B 6228) on the injectors that returned no results. Emailed Holley Tech Support and was told they are 85#s. I don't believe it due to the behavior of the engine. At the crossroad of throwing on a set of known flow injectors or build a injector flow bench to determine what BPW I should be using in the tune.

You can measure the flow in a number of ways. I feel the best way when doing it on something like a flow bench is a few different pulsewidths, and also, a static test. You could probably just do a static test and be "close enough" really. But, pulsing the injectors, however you could accomplish that is what more closely resembles what the injectors are actually doing when they are in operation. I built a flow bench because I needed to match a set of LS truck injectors that I decapped to feed the turbocharged 6.0 I put in that truck. Getting a matched set of 8 was critical being that boost was part of the equation. You can click on the link in my signature and see the video.

Like Dave on here said, what an injector is rated to flow, vs what it actually flows, vs what the flow rate in the tune is, are all 3 often different. Apples to oranges to banannas. Or perhaps Zebras to helicopters to shovels?

I would think that if you put a WB02 on there that you could fudge the injector flow rate in your tune until it got you in the ballpark, Then, fine tune your VE afterwards. Could probably get by without a flowbench that way.

You mention that you have a Holley TBI. I also have one on my 355 TBI in my K5 Blazer. I found mine for $5 at a swap meet!!!! Mine came without the Holley injectors and sensors though... I adapted the GM TPS, IAC and injectors/injector pod to bolt onto the Holley TB. I think the GM injectors and sensors are probably better than the Holley in terms of reliability. The main advantage you're after when using something like that Holley TB is just the larger throttle bores anyways.
    Last edited by CDeeZ; 01-16-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Already knew a wbo2 would solve all my issues. lol I think that's going to be next on the shopping list. Shortly after posting this, realized I could just simply flow them against some known injectors provided all being equal as in psi and length of time opened. Yeah I looked at the link down in your sig and thought about building one too. Never dawn on me to search Amazon and you can find some reasonably priced pulse width generator type devices. thanx!