Thread: Injectors pulsing when engine is OFF?!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Injectors pulsing when engine is OFF?!

I built a pretty stout TBI and have not been able to work the bugs out until recently.... The engine will start easy and idle well and have good throttle response some times.... But other times it won't start, or if it does it is hard to start and runs poorly......

I recently discovered that with the KEY ON but ENGINE OFF, you can open the throttle and the injectors go crazy and start pulsing..... That can't be right..... THe oil has gasoline in it and the one plug I pulled out was wet with gasoline.......

At the 5:50 mark of this video you can hear that the engine starts right up and idles well and has good throttle response....... So the video shows what this thing SHOULD be like........ Then randomly without warning, it runs poorly..... I'm thinking the plugs being wet must be the problem and I'm also thinking the problem must stem from the issue I describe with the fuel injectors........ Anyone got any insight into this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBFBryKSTYs

Administrator
    I have never seen nor heard of that. IMO there should be an RPM signal before that pulsing occurs. Custom code or a setting that was incorrectly changed? Possible loose memcal? Hard to say if the connection between this and the good/bad running just might be related.

Yeah me either. It has me stumped. No custom code, at least that I'm aware of lol. If I EVER find the cause, I will post back with the cause. Everything else checks out so I really don't know.

Administrator
    I installed a used 7427 into my truck a couple of years ago that whould show MAP sensor fluctuations of 15-20 kPa on the scantool during KOEO. The voltages at the sensor and at the ecm were steady. I put it in a pile of "fix me someday" ecm's and installed another.

Did that make the MAP issue on the scantool go away? I will drag out another one of my 7427s and slap it in there.

Administrator
    Yes. After swapping PCM's the scantool MAP reading behaved and the engine stopped surging.