Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: low BLM

I have no diagram for your truck so I could be off on this, but it is not a good practice to power any accessory with the wires from the engine control harness. If you need a keyed power source for the aftermarket wideband or any other accessory its best to go to the accessory side of the fuse box. I am glad you found that, it could have led you in circles.

Fuel Injected!
    I have extra time to work on my truck so here is whats going on. It backfire's out of the throttle body when I (try to) accelerate. When the ESC wire is unconnected it doesn't backfire. I changed the distributor to a known good and same results. I haven't changed the vss on the transmission but its leaking so its next, could that be causing my problem? I have two of every sensor so there is not much more to throw at it. This is the last log and it shows the timing retard when the throttle is pressed(no acceleration). This log is not for tuning BLM's, it's to show the problem. bbbbb.xdl I've been driving with the ESC wire disconnected and I don't like it.

Fuel Injected!
    vortecTest.binA217_0D_AEMx.adxbin file and ADX file

something I had to do was remove all the altitude spark bias under scalars, make it 0. I live in Florida so no change pretty flat. I had no power popping like you said. Not sure if you tried that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dhworkin View Post
    I have extra time to work on my truck so here is whats going on. It backfire's out of the throttle body when I (try to) accelerate. When the ESC wire is unconnected it doesn't backfire. I changed the distributor to a known good and same results. I haven't changed the vss on the transmission but its leaking so its next, could that be causing my problem? I have two of every sensor so there is not much more to throw at it. This is the last log and it shows the timing retard when the throttle is pressed(no acceleration). This log is not for tuning BLM's, it's to show the problem. bbbbb.xdl I've been driving with the ESC wire disconnected and I don't like it.
    I think you may be chasing yourself in circles. Popping out the carb or in this case tbi under acceleration is almost always a lean condition. Going overboard on acceleration enrichment times and amounts will give you cruddy mileage for sure so its a ballance. I would look at the wideband o2 gauge or have someone else look while you drive and see what its reading under the "pop" condition. From this side of the computer screen that's my best guess. If its going really lean, there you go. If it is lean I can pop open the bin and take a look. There are a few good threads here on the Acceleration Enrichment times and amounts. I found I had to dial them back to retain my fuel mileage but the theories are the same.

Fuel Injected!
    Well, I raised the AE, and it goes lean and pops. I set AE 10% higher and no change, so I raised 10 more and nothing changed. After 50% I stopped. Now it’s going rich, lean, rich, lean with a weaker pop between. I don’t think it’s in the tune because it ran good at first, even with the bad tune I bought. It started doing a hesitation/jerk that felt like it was in the drivetrain and has become worse. When the problem first started, it would stop doing it from time to time, but now it’s all the time. I tested the volume and pressure of the fuel but haven’t dropped the tank to check for problems there.

Well, I raised the AE, and it goes lean and pops. I set AE 10% higher and no change, so I raised 10 more and nothing changed. After 50% I stopped. Now it’s going rich, lean, rich, lean with a weaker pop between.
    It's not just one setting to bump up there are several... They have to work together. That's where you need to read a bit here. Its up to you, but from this info its still worth looking at.

Fuel Injected!
    I definitely need to read more. I raised the AE vs map and raised AE vs TPS in the tables. I’ll keep looking, I’ve been searching with obviously no luck.

Fuel Injected!
    I'll be interested in your results and if you can solve it, I have a similar problem with my Vortec headed van.
    I've tried adding AE in different tables without much luck.
    The van goes okay but it can't break traction and if I nail it on the motorway it pops back through the intake and then goes for it, logically I've tried adding AE fuel and removing it when I just about drown it but no matter what I've tried I can't get it to light up.
    Which is frustrating, I was talking to a guy on the weekend and he was saying how his stock little V6 Astro van breaks traction almost too easily.
    I almost wondering if I'm trying to tune out another problem, it goes lean on the O2 sensor when I stand on it, I've been wondering if the lean spike I'm seeing is from an ignition missfire under load?

Fuel Injected!
    Kitch, it would be ok with me if you solved the mystery before I do. I caught the act in the first part of this log, I didn't stab the throttle, I eased into 81% throttle and the timing goes the wrong wayvvvvvv.xdl

The vortecTest bin you last had above has a very minimal increase over stock on AEvs Map (lasts for about 0.1 of a second at first) and zero increases on AE vs Tps (takes over and lasts about 2 seconds). Even my really mild van with a 196 cam required some increases when vortec heads were put on. There is AE and PE. If it stays lean after about 2 seconds you may have to look at your PE.

"I would multiply the whole TPS AE table by 1.25 and the MAP AE table by 1.5 and see if that gets you closer. It is easier to trim back too much fuel than deal with the consequences of not having enough. The time in those tables is pulsewidth added asynchronous. The PCM drives the injectors both at the same time to deliver it. uSec is microseconds fwiw. From what I remember 1000 usec is 1 msec." Is the advice from Fast355 I started with for vortec heads. I dialed it back from here for my application but it was a start. Remember if you are lean after 2 seconds it is not AE any more, you need to look at PE.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ions-7747-help is a good thread to read too, even though it's not the same computer. They did get the short and long term AE mixed up though.

didn't stab the throttle, I eased into 81% throttle and the timing goes the wrong way
    The spark table on your last bin shows as the vacuum drops so does the timing advance. This would be normal function. When you transition from light load to 80% throttle the timing should drop off to prevent knock.

Fuel Injected!
    I found the problem! I removed the Ostrich 2.0 and installed the harris memcal directly. It runs great compared to anything that went through the Ostich. I cant wait to build a chip and see what it will do with a proper tune. Where do I go from here? Do I buy the hardware to burn a chip after every datalog?

Fuel Injected!
    Sorry I haven't read back through everything, were you running a direct copy of the Harris chip from the Ostrich 2.0 or were you running different a modified file before you changed to just the Harris memcal?