Thread: low BLM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    After looking I think your AE being stock may have been the hiccup. I am not there so I cant see or hear what all is going on. First thing I would do is the bin with a 0 degree initial setting and a fixed timing. You have to set the initial timing with the spout connector unplugged. Pick a number you can read on the balancer scale though for the fixed timing tables. Check with a good timing light. If that stays steady when warm though the rpm range try the test bin I am attaching and reset the initial to 10. You can do a compare to see what I changed, just a few things I took from my work and transferred over. The AE though is more than mine, you may need more or less but your engine is more aggressive than mine. Definitely will not need stock AE settings. Re do the adx math to show the 10 degrees so you get a closer picture. I do not think this is perfect just seeing if I can point you in the right direction for more work.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by donf; 09-17-2019 at 04:07 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I pulled the spark plugs and used a piston stop to make sure of TDC, set bin and ADX at 0 and uploaded to octrich, set timing to 0 at dist w/ esc wire unhooked, IAC was sucking air ,so I adjusted and lowered counts, shut it down, reconnected esc wire, and disconnected battery to clear code. When I started it the timing stayed steady at all throttle positions, but the 23000 glitch did pop up slightly. So I loaded the test bin and set timing at 10 BTDC, set ADX to 10 BTDC and went driving. Same things happening. Almost no throttle response.ff.xdl 50% throttle and no power

The 2300 in the timing advance will show up if you do not modify the adx for your initial advance. Its a logging error and has nothing to do with the way your car is running. Go to the little gears in the middle of tuner pro. That is the ADX editor. Click the values and go down to spark advance. Click on Spark Advance. At the bottom of the box that opens there will be a tab called conversion. Click that. Up at the top is the Equation. the +0.0000 is where you have to add your initial timing offset to log correctly. It sounds like the timing is staying at what you set it. Feel free to adjust the timing as you wish. I think though that having to run that much initial timing like 19 is covering up for something wrong that we cant see though the computer screen. Once you find out what that is you may have better results with not so crazy high initial advance.

So we got the timing checked and you think its doing what its supposed to. Have you ever done a exhaust back pressure test? Its a little adapter I got from the snap-on truck that screws in the o2 sensor hole. Hook a pressure gauge to it. I found a lot of bad exhaust that way. Your log file ff.xdl was way too short and too erratic to tell much of anything. It looks like you have some lean spots though. The 2300 advance bug is a distraction. If you are doing logs to post for others to look at try to hold in one block until it stops adjusting, then move to the next block. You can never get it perfect on the street. Jumping all over for 60 seconds does not produce accurate data for the spreadsheet either. Not trying to harp on you. I know this is very trying.

Quote Originally Posted by dhworkin View Post
    . Same things happening. Almost no throttle response.ff.xdl 50% throttle and no power
    So just trying to figure out this from a computer screen. Dont worry about throttle response at first. Get the fuel tables dialed in with nice slow throttle movements. I am not sure how many hills Florida has, if you have any close, the hill and a little bit of brake dragging (don't over heat them) will help keep your speed in check and allow you to stay in the individual cells for a longer time. When you get it running decent just driving like a grandma then gradually build out your fuel tables with more load. I actually found that dragging my 5000lb trailer up a few long hills with low traffic was awesome for the nice slow rpm increases for looking at fuel tables under load. You could need more AE, or more timing, or you could have another problem, but so far I have not seen a nice slow log with lots of data over most of the fuel table that shows you have the base tables close yet. They may be, but I cant tell. If someone sees something I missed feel free to jump in.

Fuel Injected!
    mmm.xdl When it goes lean at a slow cruse there is a surge, and that happens with the timing at distributor set to 20 BTDC as well. It backfired thru the throttle body if I gave it to much throttle on this log

Fuel Injected!

OK that mmm xdl was a lot better, jumping around wise. I would work on getting your block learn numbers to run closer to 128. Lower is the computer pulling fuel, higher is the computer adding fuel. Some have mentioned the wide band does not always agree, but at least with my TBI they were very close. Watch the counts if the data seems out of wack. If its low on counts I would probably discard and hand edit that cell. Its worth a shot to see if you can make improvements in the drivability. I doubt this is all your problems but its a direction.

mmm.jpg

I was looking at the VV.xdl. You are doing a lot better not jumping around. See how all the BLM numbers are slowly counting down? It is adjusting. Spending enough time in each cell to get a good average is important. Put that data into the spread sheet and see what it starts to look like. I think as you work on the table the drivability will improve. When you reburn the chip, disconnect the battery each time to start fresh.
    Last edited by donf; 09-18-2019 at 06:00 AM.

What happened between logs VV.Xdl and ass.xdl? are those right after each other with no changes? ass.xdl looks a lot worse blm wise. It must be really late in FL. I will catch up with you tomorrow. We will get it figured out.
    Last edited by donf; 09-18-2019 at 06:11 AM.

Going over the VV and ASS files. Maybe they are not as far off as I thought at first. In the early file, there are more populated cells closer to 128 but the sample count on a lot of them is low.

Also, the data recorder is not that advanced. I did not know this before this morning. if you run two log files back to back its just going to add them together. It will not clear data unless between files unless you hit the clear button on all screens or close the program and start fresh. So if you are playing pre recorded data, skipping between files, fast forwarding, etc. Its pretty easy to get data log screen data that is complete jumble mess of all the files and not what it would have been if the screen had just been left open on a test drive and then stopped. When messing with it, there are definitely some crude parts to the freeware. We get what we pay for ha ha.

What I would do is open TunerPro new each time I did a test drive. I would let it warm up to 180 or so then start the log and then at the end of the drive copy and paste all end data to a blank spread sheet as the end average numbers are what I was most interested in anyway. Then I would look at the counts if there were low count cells or cells set in transition, or some hangars that seemed way out of place I would remove those or edit them by hand. Once that is done I would put them into the other spreadsheet for adjusting the fuel table values. Its definitely not an once and done process. You can get a good base though and sneak up on better as time allows.

I was also looking at your wideband data, the min and max numbers for each cell are pretty far apart. Also the narrow band o2, sensor, how old is it? Just curious as after looking at your BLM # and the wide band data there may be be some discrepancy. Others have mentioned this before. With mine I started with a fairly new sensor but with about 30k on it, then wondered the same thing and swapped to a new AC delco. There was some differences in the numbers I got after the swap, but not a huge amount. If the sensor was original, I would have definitely replaced it with a good quality senor before starting the process. I was just wondering if an old narrow band with a lot of miles feeding info into the computer may be part of the problem? Just wondering, it may be nothing.

After the tables are roughed out a little closer you can work on AE and PE. Some here recommend disabling those for the first part, but for myself just being careful with crazy throttle movements and starting low on the table and gradually working into the higher load areas seemed to work fine. My set up was more conservative though, it actually took a second or two to transfer in to PE at WOT. Not crazy long, but I got very good mileage even with the 4.10 gears. Your choice on if you need to lock it out or not for the rough out of the tables.
    Last edited by donf; 09-20-2019 at 08:00 PM.