Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: '87 350 TBI, custom application, looking to go bare-bones

Ok, well it took a little while, but I was able to clean up and remove a lot of the old wiring in the engine compartment that had nothing to do engine operation. I installed the heated O2 Sensor and most of the sensors that weren't attached.

I was able to take the rig for a test drive and data logged the journey. Hitting max speed (25mph) the fastest the rig would ever travel. 5 mph is average.

Dave W, thank you for the original bits of info, it looks like shes running closed loop now and not running as rich! I'm still having some low end power issues, which I believe is the transmission not shifting down as she sounds like it's bogging down just to get up short inclines.

3-16-2018a is from first firing up the rig and heading up the driveway
    3-16-2019b is the full drive session.

DaveW do you think you can glance these over and let me know your thoughts?

-Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Mrgto68 View Post
    Ok, well it took a little while, but I was able to clean up and remove a lot of the old wiring in the engine compartment that had nothing to do engine operation. I installed the heated O2 Sensor and most of the sensors that weren't attached.

I was able to take the rig for a test drive and data logged the journey. Hitting max speed (25mph) the fastest the rig would ever travel. 5 mph is average.

Dave W, thank you for the original bits of info, it looks like shes running closed loop now and not running as rich! I'm still having some low end power issues, which I believe is the transmission not shifting down as she sounds like it's bogging down just to get up short inclines.

3-16-2018a is from first firing up the rig and heading up the driveway
    3-16-2019b is the full drive session.

DaveW do you think you can glance these over and let me know your thoughts?

-Mike
    The chip does not have the Spark Advance (SA) *Hack*or Injector Base Pulse Width (PWM) *Hack* applied. SA & PWM is very useful data! I recommend installing a custom chip with the SA & BPW *HACKS*.

Knock Counts are excessively high! I'm wondering about the Knock Sensor, ESC Module, and related wiring. Not knowing SA is limiting the understanding of Knock Counts.

The BLM's are sometimes ZERO, which I don't think I've ever seen that before. Not knowing BPW is limiting the understanding of the ZERO BLM's.

The data log show MPH, sometimes 100 MPH? I wonder about the VSS wiring?

dave w

Hey Dave, absolutely appreciate your input and help!! Thank you.

I'm going to do some research on the forums and read up on the SA *Hack* and the PWM *Hack* this is new to me. As per your recommendation, where would I find and how much would I be looking to spend on a custom chip?

I'm going to head back out to the shop and take a look at the knock sensor, esc module wiring.

I purchased and installed the 2PRS Speed sensor from JTS and wired it directly to the VSS sensor wire to the ECU.

I don't have the Automatic P / N wired up, I assume that's why it reads that it's always in drive. Would this be an issue to leave disconnected?

Manual transmissions do not use a Park switch, so it should be OK to run without the Park switch connected.

The attached .xdf ($42 / 1227747) is for TunerPro and has the SA and BPW Hacks, so you can do a custom chip yourself.

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Manual transmissions do not use a Park switch, so it should be OK to run without the Park switch connected.

The attached .xdf ($42 / 1227747) is for TunerPro and has the SA and BPW Hacks, so you can do a custom chip yourself.

dave w

This is an automatic, TH400 Transmission

Fuel Injected!
    My truck has a lot of mechanical noise- one trick I was told about is an ESC module out of a carb caprice that was less sensitive to knock.

I don't have suggestions for a mechanical solution for the knock.

Some of the early TBI 454's (87 & 88) did not have a knock sensor. Some TBI pickups and vans had TH400, so finding a used factory Park Switch is an option.

dave w

Hey Dave,
    Sorry for the delay, the above post regarding the "Mechanical Noise" is not related to my project, Just another member posting some insight to an issue he had.

I did relocate the driver controls and when doing so I added a B&M Stealth Magnum Shifter https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-81052/overview/ I wanted a more rugged look to the driver controls, even thought it wasn't necessary.

There are two sensors that I didn't hook up, the Park/neutral and the Brake switch. I saw that you posted about the TH400 Trans a while ago. I know that the TH400 has a Vacuum line that runs to it for shifting. That's all I have hooked up to it besides the JTR Speed Sensor. Is there anything else that needs to be hooked up in regards to the TH400 that I'm overlooking?

Also, I don't plan on doing anything radical with the tuning of the chip besides the "Hack" that you posted and bumping up the idle setting when the AC toggle Switch is Activated. Can you point me in the right direction to the programmer that you recommend?

Ok, so I guess the P/N Switch is also the Neutral Safety switch.

"Regarding the P/N switch:
    Some wiring harnesses ground the Park/Neutral wire so that the ECM always thinks the vehicle is in Neutral or Park. The reason is to prevent the SES (service engine soon) or Check engine light from being turned on due to lack of a VSS signal. The service manual states: The ECM uses the P/N signal as one of the inputs to control: Idle Air control; VSS diagnostics; EGR. If the P/N wire is grounded in drive, the EGR would be inoperative , resulting in possible detonation.
    Without the P/N switch connected (grounded) the engine will run ok but engine speed may drop excessively when shifting into gear. "

I just looked at the Purple wire on the new harness, it has a tag on it which reads: Grounded when in Park and Neutral. Which would explain why when I data logged the motor, it showed that the vehicle was in "Drive" the entire time.

it's no trouble to wire it up., but I'm just curious..... if the ecu doesn't get a grounded signal when in Park / Neutral how does it effect the running of the motor?
    Last edited by Mrgto68; 03-25-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Hey Dave,

Following up on your findings on my last data log.

• The bad VSS reading was a wiring issue, which is now corrected

• I looked at the ESC module and the plug connections appeared to have some corrosion. I gently cleaned them up and plugged the unit back in.

• I connected the P/N Wire and it now reads when the vehicle is in "Drive" or "Park"

• I connected the AC Signal Wire to a toggle switch and when switched on the signal is received by the ECU and increases Idle about 200 rpm. this also sends the ecu into Closed Loop at Idle.

• I put a voltmeter to the Knock Sensor and it tests good

• Pulled the EGR valve, it's heavily packed with carbon. The valve moves and springs back when pressed, however it doesn't appear to hold vacuum. is it worth the time to try to clean these things or just order a new one?

I attached the data log while testing everything above at Idle.

Looks like I'm finally getting somewhere!!!!

Which programmer do you recommend?

Circling back on this, I'm so close.