Thread: Hi from NorCal

Hi from NorCal

Hello from Northern Cal

Found out about this site from the GMT400 truck forum and figured it will be useful for my two projects, first is my 68 Vette, too many mods to list but of importance here is the 383 stroker w/ TPIS Miniram intake and FAST EZ EFI, and backed by a T56 six-speed. Anyone wants to know more just ask. Other project is my newly acquired 92 Chevy Sportside, 350 TBI and backed by a newly rebuilt 700R4. Truck is very solid, no rust or signs of serious abuse (other than the blown transmission when I first bought it....judging by the looks of the innards the PO was towing uphill in overdrive lol), and hoping to make a few engine mods when I rebuild next year. Would like to add a bigger cam and better heads but I'm held back by the smog laws here (smog check every two years) so any mods have to be smog legal. I'm sure I'll have to do some tuning to the stock computer but as mentioned before, it has to all smog legal and I have no idea where to begin as far as the computer goes....and that's why I'm here

I will post pics when I figure out how....tried to but they won't show up on my posting

OK here's a few pics

681.jpg683.jpgtruck 1.jpg

Maybe upgrade the TBI 350 to a 1996 - 1999 Vortec L31 Roller Camshaft, if you block will accept a factory roller camshaft. Some TBI 350 engines will accept a factory roller camshaft, most don't. Technically the L31 camshaft is "stock" so likely OK for CA emissions? The L31 camshaft is a HUGE improvement from the stock 350 TBI camshaft! I live in WA, so emission testing for me is tailpipe only for HC's & CO's. No NOx testing in WA. Vehicles more than 25 years old are exempt for WA emission testing.

dave w

Administrator
    Welcome to the forum.

As someone who has spent most of his life in the rust belt, I have to say that I love seeing photos of vehicles from the west coast. We have a very different definition of "rust free" out here.

https://nh.craigslist.org/pts/d/corv...753439952.html

Thanks
    Yes I plan to install a roller cam when I can find one that will work without sending the computer into a fit.....the block in the truck should already be prepped for roller, in fact the block in the Vette came out of an early 90's truck, wanted to use a roller cam, and the Comp Cams shaft I'm running fit with no problems

Thanks

Funny that you show a Vette frame, my 68 came from Michigan (uncle owned it, and I got it for free) and it had rust issues
    Had no idea a fiberglass car could have so much rust lol

I've been playing with my '88 Silverado 5.7 recently. I moved to AZ from CA and my truck has all of the goodies including EGR and A.I.R. on it. Maricopa County requires emissions testing every 2 years also. For heads I used Summit Racing SUM-162108 made by TrickFlow. They flow better than Vortec heads with 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust and comes with a CARB # (California Air Resources Board Executive Order) Their fairly reasonable @ $1,100 for the pair. You can find all kinds of computer programmable cams there too that have CARB #s too. I used SUM-G9015(w/CARB# too) shorty headers that come with the "smog pump" fitting too. After that I went a little overboard with a custom bored to 46 mm Throttle Body, Edelbrock 3704 intake manifold, shift kit, governor weights to change my shift point to 5,000RPM on my 700r4 tranny, 4.10 gears, Lunati VooDoo 10120700 cam with 1.6 rockers, Pertronics D3002 flame thrower coil, custom chip from TBIchips. With all of this and a little timing I gained over 3 seconds in 0-60. I should still be close to legal, we'll see in 2 years. By the time I got done with this project I've spent over $5K. You can swap an LS motor for that...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PlayingWithTBI; 12-06-2018 at 01:07 AM.

Sounds like a nice set-up, curious to see if it passes smog and what the smog tech says about your motor