Thread: New Minnesota Guy

Carb and Points!

New Minnesota Guy

Greetings!
    I am grateful to be able to join your group. I have been a hot rod nut since high school, and am impressed and intimidated by modern fuel injection. But after installing an ls into the Willys, I am sold! So much so, that I have decided to swap my carb and t350 sbc in the econoline for a tbi vortec and od from a 2000 chevy cargo van.....got lots to learn, so here we go.
    Jeff in Minnesota
    Attached Images Attached Images

What computer are you considering on the " econoline tbi vortec and od from a 2000 chevy cargo van"?

dave w

Carb and Points!
    not sure yet, am thinking about an new harness and computer from somebody, I have a psi harness and computer on the 5.3 in the willys, works great but was spendy....I am wondering if it would be worth it to pull the harness and computer out of the donor van

Fuel Injected!
    Welcome from Fort Collins, Colorado!

I personally would take everything you can from the 2000 cargo van. Wire harness, sensors, pcm, etc. I would even grab the gauge cluster.

Is that the Mississippi I see behind the Willys?

I'm slightly confused with the term "tbi Vortec"?

I'm thinking there is the possibility the plans are for using a TBI system on a 2000 Vortec engine?

TBI is an OBD1 computer. There are several OBD1 TBI computer options, including the second generation 16197427 TBI PCM.

The 2000 cargo van computer is OBD2.

OBD1 tuning software / hardware is low cost (typically less than $100). OBD2 tuning software / hardware is not low cost (typically with prices starting at $600 and up!).

Tuning software is not required, just like walking on two feet is not a requirement either.

One budget option for the 2000 cargo van Vortec engine would be to Do-it-Yourself simplify the original 2000 cargo van harness ( http://lt1swap.com/96-99_vortec_harness.htm ) and have the original 2000 cargo van computer custom flashed.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    sorry bout the mixup, I got a freebie 2000 chevy van with a r code 5.7 gen 1 motor. It has what looks to me like throttle body injection, was a low miler that ran great. I most definitely want to stay on the affordable side with this swap, and will grab the stock harness and computer. I was wondering if anyone makes an external fuel pump for this setup that would not require a return line. Thanks for your help! And yes, I live about a mile off of the Mississippi.