Thread: Help identifying ECU/Mods?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator
    I am thinking the parts in the first picture are a handmade version of a memcal. You might be able to use information on this page to help figure out how that circuit is wired. If you do, I'd love to hear more.

There are more pieces here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...your-Memcal-ID
    Some of the links in the above thread are broken now. The exatorq link brought you to the schematics I posted earlier. Diy-efi.org is an old mailing list. You can follow the thread mentioned here. Also note the picture of the prototype ZR1 Corvette memcal. The ZR1 used an engine designed by Lotus and what we can see of the memcal in the photo looks very much like what you have.

I have found a better archive of Ludis site (where the schematics I linked originated).
    https://pcmhacking.net/ludis/1227749schematic.html
    This archive contains the schematics for ecm's similar to the 8707. It's been years since I've dug into this so I would have to look at notes on another pc to be of more help.

At least you have more information, although it may be more distraction than help. The question is "What can replace this controller I am using." My hunch is that a later stock 8707 will be the correct replacement. The reason for all the additional work is to try and help devise tests to prove or disprove the 8707 will work.

Also, if you have read the calibration we may be able to compare the mask ID with a stock file from a later vehicle to see if it is the same. Same mask id indicates most likely they used the same ecm.

Electronic Ignition!
    OK, digging into more now... Is there a way to analyze the EPROM data I have? Just curious where I would find that data from the chip itself..is there a specific location I would look in the data?

Great stuff...checking the links now! Thank you for assisting!

Pete

Administrator
    The typical file begins with calibration data. There is a program ID known as the Mask ID which can be found at location $0008. If your chip has a mask ID other than $AA we may be able to determine which program was used. This would be a big step in determining whether or not a stock ecm could easily replace it.

Electronic Ignition!
    I have the file, just trying to figure out how to track it down... I tried an online tool and it couldn't find the mask...poking around in my eprom programmer buffer now to find it...

Pete

Administrator
    Location is the eighth byte after the first. Could be C008, 0008, You could load the definition into Tunerpro with one of the $0E definitions and it will show the mask ID.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Location is the eighth byte after the first. Could be C008, 0008, You could load the definition into Tunerpro with one of the $0E definitions and it will show the mask ID.
    I think I'm doing this right..loaded an xdf of 0E_tpv4_v200.xdf (any reason for using $0E definitions?) in tunerpro, opened my bin and got:

PROM ID: 18976
    Platform ID (MSW): 1C86
    Platform ID (LSW): FFFB7
    Checksum: 018E
    Mask ID: B6

Pete

Electronic Ignition!
    Does that info relate to anything 'stock'? Does that Mask ID mean that I have a '$B6' mask ID?