Thread: TunerPro and Hypertech chip and communication issues

Carb and Points!

TunerPro and Hypertech chip and communication issues

Hi there. I'm a total newbie to this stuff and am starting to at least understand some lingo. Here is my problem. I've downloaded the files I believe to be correct off of this site in the tutorial section. I still can't get the ECM to communicate with my computer. It acknowledges the cable alone but then will not connect when I turn the key on. The ECM is a 165 and it has a hypertech chip in it. I need some guidance on how to get these to talk to one another cuz I'm apparently missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are restoring an 89 IROC and the previous owner had deleted to the old computer. We got a new computer and did a bunch of upgrades to the car (cam heads etc) and now it's time to tune it in. It runs but won't idle. Anyhow any help would be awesome.

Administrator
    Welcome to the forum.

The 165 can be a tough nut to crack. Uni-directional serial data is delivered at 160 baud on pin E after jumpering pins A to B using a 10K resistor. Plugging in a cable designed for a later vehicle will not work. Your post doesn't mention that you're aware of this so if you don't mind, we should start with basics.

Questions:
    1) When the key is first turned to "run," does the check engine light illuminate, turn off for a second or two, then light and stay lit? (Test normal ECM operation)

2) Are you able to jumper the ALDL to get "blink codes" from the ecm? (Test ALDL pins A and B)

3) What type of cable are you using (serial, RS232, USB)? (Some cables are less likely to work)

4) Is your cable designed to get serial data from pin E of the ALDL? (most cables connect to pin M)

5) Are you connecting a 10K resistor across pins A and B of the ALDL when the cable is connected? (without the resistor, data will not flow from the ecm)

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

The 165 can be a tough nut to crack. Uni-directional serial data is delivered at 160 baud on pin E after jumpering pins A to B using a 10K resistor. Plugging in a cable designed for a later vehicle will not work. Your post doesn't mention that you're aware of this so if you don't mind, we should start with basics.

Questions:
    1) When the key is first turned to "run," does the check engine light illuminate, turn off for a second or two, then light and stay lit? (Test normal ECM operation)

2) Are you able to jumper the ALDL to get "blink codes" from the ecm? (Test ALDL pins A and B)

3) What type of cable are you using (serial, RS232, USB)? (Some cables are less likely to work)

4) Is your cable designed to get serial data from pin E of the ALDL? (most cables connect to pin M)

5) Are you connecting a 10K resistor across pins A and B of the ALDL when the cable is connected? (without the resistor, data will not flow from the ecm)

Thanks so much for responding. Took a couple days to research what you listed. Definitely a newbie here and took a bit to sort this out. Here's what we were able to come up with.

Answer to 1 - No when the key is turned to run it does not stay lit.
    Answer to 2 - When we jumped the ALDL got a blink code of 12 that says the ECM is working.
    Answer to 3 - Not sure how to find this out. It is a serial cable to connects to USB. There are zero markings on the serial part to tell anything.
    Answer to 4 - Also not sure how to find this out.
    Answer to 5 - We connected a resistor and it didn't seem to make a difference.

So we borrowed a diagnostic computer from a friend and couldn't get it to connect to this ECM. Ended up putting in the old computer in and it would pick it up. So we've left the original computer in it for now. It is appearing that old computer that we were told was deleted is not in fact the case. Probably send off the other one to be programmed by somebody that knows what they're doing lol. Still need to figure out how to do this though.