Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie here with a 2+ year problem

Administrator
    Memcal appears to be BHAS4303, 1993 C and K truck, 5.7, 4L60E, '8625 ECM. It's an early 93 release but I won't be able to see if it's superseded until later.

Okay, BHAS is a $6E mask from a 93 truck 350 auto ecm is 8625. I have one to put onto my 87 when it's finally back together. The 1263167 must be a remanufactured ecm. Nothi,g wrong there. Lol, 1project beat me to it.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_in_dorris View Post
    Okay, BHAS is a $6E mask from a 93 truck 350 auto ecm is 8625. I have one to put onto my 87 when it's finally back together. The 1263167 must be a remanufactured ecm. Nothi,g wrong there. Lol, 1project beat me to it.
    If you look through the window of the memcal esc side, that's where he got those numbers from.

I missed that, but what I wanted was ecm #. 1project and I both found that by locating the BCC in a spreadsheet available on this site.

You might consider trying a $0D mask like BJYL to see if that changes anything. Also, was you cam indexed when installed. I know that you said the dots lined up on the install, but the indexing can be wrong. It wouldn't change your stumble on startup, but it might affect your need for 6 degrees of timing at the distributor.
    Last edited by jim_in_dorris; 11-04-2018 at 08:49 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    As far as indexing the cam, I did not, it came to me as a long block. "Assuming" the builder would have done that.

Too many different terms, I am getting mixed up. The "box" was given to me to try, in place of my own, thats whats in there now. The "blue chip" was what was in there. Why cant I find that 1263167 in any of the charts I have read? "Remanufactured" was mentioned? What am I missing?

I will assume because when I changed the box, which I am assuming is called the ECM, nothing changed. Am I safe calling that good to go? Only thing I want to do now is get a different chip and see if that makes a difference, is that correct?

The broadcast code BHAS is the "calibration" or tune for your truck. It contains tables constants and flags that control things like fueling, timing and closed / open loop. The 8625 is the ECM that runs the gm code that uses the BHAS calibration. $E6 is the family of masks that your calibration is associated with. A $0D mask will also run your truck, however the code and calibration are different. I have not spent enough time looking at $E6 to know what the differences between $0D and $E6 are. I misunderstood you when you posted the 1263167 number. I assumed you where telling me the ECM number, not a number off the blue memcal which lead to the remanned comment. Ignore it, you are fine. Your "box" or ECM is an 8625.
    Last edited by jim_in_dorris; 11-04-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Understood.

Now, I need to find a different memcal. What are my options? This is just for testing purposes only, at this point.

Fuel Injected!
    Confirming which PCM found this from 1 of the links posted by OP... https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/s...?post/2701391/

Sorry for the useless input...I'm following this as I'm working on a friends truck with similar issue. He's 1 of those people, twist of the ignition, shift to D and GO! Says there's a drive-ability issue cold but clears up once warm. I think I gotta tweak target a/f in the 140dF range to get rid of stumble.

Back on topic, have we established the engine is basically stock? Stock reman engine but when someone says it has a stock cam, to me that could mean anything. :shrug:

Fuel Injected!
    Stock engine, according to engine builder. I've questioned them multiple times and they said it is stock. That was my original PCM, which I traded out for this current one, as a test. No differences. Trying a different memcal is now my goal....I guess.

My other question is; why can I not find any reference to my 16127475?
    Last edited by pmilne; 11-06-2018 at 12:23 AM.

That 16127475 number is an internal part number in your blue memcal. It is not pertinent to the discussion, don't worry about it

Administrator
    Confirming which PCM found this from 1 of the links posted by OP... https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/s...?post/2701391/
    Interesting. I had not seen this one. Thank you.

Back on topic, have we established the engine is basically stock?
    No. We have established that the supplier sells this part number engine to fit a 20+ year range of engines, and that the builder said everything is ok. I have a suspicion that the cam is an older design and is not readily compatible with the stock TBI calibration.

pmilne, the calibration in your truck has been updated by GM several times. This page shows a copy of the latest calibration is available for under $70. http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/16205201.html You can also enter your VIN into this page to check the calibration history: https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/

I do have a copy of the calibration BHAS although I haven't found any spare memcals (the part under the blue cover) available to burn a calibration onto. If we could locate a spare memcal I would be happy to try burning the calibration onto it for you.

Fuel Injected!
    I take it my BHRD isnt going to work? Must I get my BHAS back and then try to find any random memcal for you to burn to? Appreciate your help!

Fuel Injected!
    i remember an issue like this over on thirdgen.org from years ago, more than 10. turned out to be a map sensor test subroutine for observing a calculated vacuum drop. i cannot remember the complete fix, but it may have been to put the most recent oe version of that cal in the truck. You guys are already on that path. i also agree with the cam statment about the previous years cam designs are not tbi compatible.

chris

Administrator
    BHRD is from a six cylinder powered Astrovan. There are electronics on the memcal which need to match the engine that's being used. BHRD would not be correct and putting a V8 calibration on the V6 memcal would introduce new problems. The right memcal would be from a 350 / 5.7L engine.

Knowing that GM sometimes fixes more than one problem when they update a calibration, I would probably try to obtain the latest version for my vehicle. But if you find any random calibration that fits your part number ECM and is from a 350 then I can put a copy of your current calibration onto the memcal.