Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 94 Z71 TBI on vortec build runs richer than a crooked politician!

I used the TBI spreadsheet and made a new bin, it runs much better now but not perfect. I think the reason its falling on its face is the trans kickdown needs changed, if I manually drop gears when I go WOT it picks up and go's! I'm learning and its getting there! Thanks for a great site and alot of great help
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dave, is there any chance you would have shift tables for 94 Z71 GT4 RPO code so 3:73 and 245/75-16? I'm going for a more sporty shift that will also kick down with the higher rpm range of the new cam topping out at 5800, it's still shifting like a gutless stock TBI. I haven't found much info to read on the trans side of the 7427 and I don't want to dive in just guessing at it. Thank's again for all of your help on this already, I may have given up on it without it!

Try this thread, post 10 has a .zip file with BlueCat transmission shifting program (.exe) http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ble-adjustment

dave w

I took a look at bluecat. Some like it and it would have its uses if the shift parameters are way out of factory spec, but because its made for a different program - hp tuners, there is a lot of stuff that you end up doing yourself anyway. What you are asking is not that hard to just change a little at a time in tunerpro. I used someones spreadsheet I found on another forum to figure out my original shift points and then what to change to keep the rpms from getting too low at low throttle opening and in 4th. It sort of does what bluecat did, but I ended up changing a lot of bluecats output so it was just easier for me to use the spreadsheet. There is a WOT setting for both RPM and kickdown shift points as well as the shift tables. Read all the posts here by Billy Graves about transmissions before you make any pressure changes... very easy to fat fist it and mess up a trans if not careful. For shift feel on a 4l60e, there is a lot of really good information on the LS forum about what needs updated inside the trans. They really know their stuff. I ended up taking most of my shift kit out after following their recommendations. It's not that it doesn't have one, just you can make your own changes and it works well. That and the rebuild done last year with help online from the same forum. Remember the RPM/VSS ratio may be different in bins, so the shift speed tables in one will be way off if you don't take that info with you. Bluecat tries to change that too but its not set up for Tunerpro.
    Last edited by donf; 10-29-2018 at 07:22 AM.

It will be Friday before I get a chance to work on it again, I will check out bluecat and read up on Billy Graves posts in the meantime. Donf do you have the spreadsheets or know where I can get them? Anything that can simplify this to be more accurate rather than me guessing would be a great help. I plan on later using a bin switcher so I can set up bins for towing and others for daily driving which for me is driving my truck like it was one of my old weekend warrior street strip Camaros! I may be getting old but I still love performance

I am attaching the file I got off another website. You have to input your specs in the model page otherwise its set up for a camaro. The n/v ratio or what the $0d xdf calls RPM/VSS Ratio was used between a few different tire sizes and ratios, even from the factory. So the first thing to know is the transmission looks at that to figure out its speed. It may or may not be the same as the vehicle speed, sometimes its off. It doesn't really matter as its all relative, but I did change my ratio and shift points from a bin with a closer ratio after I made a large change in rear gear ratio. When driving the van, nothing changed as the factory shift points, RPM wise were exactly the same. The shift tables after the change were easier to read without doing the math to convert them to a real MPH number and are very close to the actual speed. Most of my shift points at part throttle were spot on with the factory cal. So I did not like how blue cat would change a lot of them that didn't need to be changed. If you have a drastically different power band and gear ratio where all the factory settings are no longer working, I can see a complete rewrite of the table. Until that is needed, though I much prefer entering the stock table into the spreadsheet and then seeing how raising only a few areas or lowering affects the rpm. One thing is the shift point changes made a noticeable difference in the way my van towed and drove unloaded, even with a stock engine. Way, way more noticeable than the stage I Jet chip that did so little it's laughable.

One thing is be careful with changes and try to understand the reason behind the values. I downloaded a few bins last week looking for clues on how the vortec heads changed the tunes and most of the modified tunes have large mistakes in them, not on purpose but people start hacking away thinking they know more than the engineers and stuff happens. One example had most of the timing taken out of the main table because they chose to populate another with almost the same values. That table removed timing under certain conditions. Not saying I know how to do it any better I don't, but I do think you can mess up a bin faster than you can help it if you start changing tables you know nothing about.

Google Sheets can read and write xls files for free online if you do not have office.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by donf; 10-30-2018 at 06:34 PM.

Thanks for the spreadsheet and insight donf,, I will be using that Friday to try and get the rpm up before normal shift and kickdown with less TPS% . I am still having issues with it when I hit WOT at cruise to pass or from low RPM/low intake velocity like an old carb that the accelerator pump is bad on. After reading I'm guessing I need to do some alterations to the AE and maybe PE tables, is there anything to do besides just make small changes at a time and see if it helps?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    I am still having issues with it when I hit WOT at cruise to pass or from low RPM/low intake velocity like an old carb that the accelerator pump is bad on. After reading I'm guessing I need to do some alterations to the AE and maybe PE tables
    What's your new wideband reading?

Just got done installing the wideband and gauge, when I went to pin it into the egr pin b16 I realized I have been tuning for a 7427 and when I couldn't find the brown wire in B16 I realized I have a 6395 when I hit WOT and it falls on its face the wideband pegs out lean! then as sood as it comes alive it reads around 13. at cruise it dances around stoich. I guess now I need to change xdf and adx files and also figure out how to pin the wideband into the 6395. Gotta love newbie mistakes

The '7427 and '6395 have the same pin numbering, meaning B16 on a '7427 is the same B16 on a '6395.

Use the Red / Blue connector numbers, not the numbers on the secondary locks, that's a rookie mistake for-sure!

The '7427 can use definitions - $31, $OE, $E6, and $OD.

The '6395 is also supposed to be able to use definitions - $31, $OE, $E6, and $OD.

$OD and $E6 are used with the 4L60E.

$31 and $OE are used with the 4L80E.

The WBO2 spreadsheet I posted will work with definitions - $31, $OE, $E6, and $OD.

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 11-03-2018 at 03:02 AM.

You are awesome Dave!!! You just answered everything I was frustratingly searching for and made it a good night again!

Another rookie question, since B16 is unused where can I find a pin to add to the connector? I can order one but I'm not sure what the p/n is on them?

Pin chart
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pin part # is 12146448-L https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManage...5-4efecdd4817c

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/1...if-1360686.pdf

Send me a PM with a shipping address, I have some used pins with wire still attached I can mail you in an envelope and a Forever Stamp.

dave w

Well, I got the white wire from the AEM WB02 hooked up to the PCM red connector in B16, checked and I am getting correct 1-5V to the pin which corresponds to my WB02 gauge in the truck dash and I configured all flags and tables as instructed in the attached pic but TP will not show WB02 readings, the gauge on TP dashbords just stays on 0. I am at a loss on this, what am I missing here?
    Attached Images Attached Images