Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 94 Z71 TBI on vortec build runs richer than a crooked politician!

94 Z71 TBI on vortec build runs richer than a crooked politician!

Hey all! I'm trying to learn how to use my tunerprort to fix my new engine build, if I'm posting in the wrong spot please steer me in the rite direction.
    I figured I would freshen up my old tired TBI when it developed a main bearing knock. I started with a salvage yard vortec 5.7 from a 96 3/4 ton, built it with new crank and dual vr hyper flat tops 9.78 static cr, .060" quench "I know not great" Lunati roller Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 279/287
    Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 213/219
    Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .447/.471
    LSA/ICL: 112/108
    Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
    RPM Range:1500-5500
    performer air gap intake, tbi shop boared throttle body 46mm,transgo adapter plate on top of my old NOS brand spray bar plate ported to smooth out the transition to the carbed intake and yes the connectors are capped off, new AC DELCO 5.7 injectors along with all new ACDELCO sensors, new alternator, new 96 vortec fuel pump with 18 lb spring, new exhaust vortec stock manifolds to 2.5" to flowmaster Y new high flow cat, 3" to flowmaster single in dual 2.5" outs, timing set to 16 deg base. Using tunerpro RT to datalog. Any help is greatly appreciated, this is my daily driver and I love my old truck but after dropping all the $ I'm ready to have her running rite again!
    Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help an old guy who hasn't tuned in over 15 years and never on a TBI.
    Jimmie
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jimmie; 10-21-2018 at 01:04 AM.

Not every Vortec TBI engine needs the 18 PSI fuel pressure regulator spring. Try a stock fuel pressure regulator?

Most Vortec TBI engines see a measurable improvement with a Vortec Timing Table vs. a TBI Timing Table, see link: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-Throttle-ONLY!

Wide Band O2 Tuning is a good plan, see link: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...g)-Spreadsheet

dave w

Thank you for the fast reply and good info Dave, I was wondering if the fuel pressure was too much and I have an actron fuel gauge and tap on the way to check it. I will try the stock spring and see if that helps. Is there any way to install an adjustable regulator in line on the return side? I was going to put an allen head screw in the stock one but it looks like a pain to get to and don't want to take it apart to fine tune the pressure. I was looking at the wide band O2 kits but wasn't sure what brand or type would be best. I will study the links you posted, and try to pick out a good WB O2 kit.. Thank you

For wide band gauges and sensors, AEM X series work well. I found out about them from the HP Tuners forum they have a huge thread on them. I have Haltech controllers on my Dyno and AEM reads exactly the same in the car as the dyno reads out. Some times you can get an open box kit from amazon warehouse deals, not used, but the box is opened for even less. I got one about a year ago for pretty cheap.
    https://youtu.be/fazsPrIyJd4

Thanks donf, I will get that on the next amazon order! Does it work with TunerProRT Wired in thrugh the EGR pin? I think wideband 02 will help alot if I can figure out how to use it at its best.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Thanks donf, I will get that on the next amazon order! Does it work with TunerProRT Wired in thrugh the EGR pin? I think wideband 02 will help alot if I can figure out how to use it at its best.
    I have a friend with a vintage wagon (carb) and we have the X series AEM wideband on his too this is where I have used it the most. The readings are the same as the very expensive haltech controller on the dyno. I have been lazy and not done much logging with TPRT on the stock engine. I have the shift points changed but will wait until next month for the head and cam work. The AEM X series model listed does have a signal wire for data logging. Be careful and make sure you are getting the X series, they sell the old model too, it's a few dollars cheaper, but not as advanced.

The AEM 30-4110 is an Excellent Choice with the 1993 - 1995 GM Pickup PCM's. When the .bin file is correctly configured for the 1993 - 1995 GM Pickup PCM, the AEM 30-4110 is Plug-n-Play ready.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/produ...uego-afr-gauge

Attached pic shows AFR averages using my spreadsheet with an AEM 30-4110 WBO2 sensor.

Homework = Horsepower!

It's OK to copy my Homework, I won't tell the teacher!

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

https://www.aemelectronics.com/produ...ntroller-gauge Is the newer model. Just has a few improvements and a $10 higher price.

The cool thing about the 30-4110 is the 0 volt to 5 volt output is correctly calibrated for the 1993 - 1995 PCM which requires the WBO2 be setup for 0 volts = 10 AFR and 5 volts = 20 AFR.

The 30-0300 is a better WBO2 vs. the 30-4110.

The 30-0300 is not Plug-n-Play ready for the 1993 - 1995 PCM.

Seemingly, the less complicated the WBO2 setup is for the 1993 - 1995 PCM, the better?

dave w

Good info thank you, so the reason to buy the older model is because the tunerpro data logging is set up for it without any config changes? Can the configuration be changed? I have a separate data logger, but I would like to use it with Tunerpro and use the better wideband controller. I took a quick peek and it looks like the equation can be changed along with the high and low values. Nothing looks locked?
    Last edited by donf; 10-22-2018 at 04:47 PM.

This is a good thread on changing the values. Thanks for the advice past and present! http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...eband-Question

Thanks Dave and donf, lots of good info! I'm on amazon now and confused on which one to buy, the plug and play sounds simple for my old eyes but not as good as the 30-0300? Should I just get the plug n play or the newer better and configure it for tunerpro if possible?
    And yes dave I will defiantly be copying your homework lol! So much good info I cant wait for my fuel pressure gauge, Ostrich and G1 to get here so I can start trying all this out

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Thanks Dave and donf, lots of good info! I'm on amazon now and confused on which one to buy, the plug and play sounds simple for my old eyes but not as good as the 30-0300? Should I just get the plug n play or the newer better and configure it for tunerpro if possible?
    And yes dave I will defiantly be copying your homework lol! So much good info I cant wait for my fuel pressure gauge, Ostrich and G1 to get here so I can start trying all this out
    For ease follow Dave's suggestion the older AEMs were good. The newer one works faster but really the old one is fine. The changes to the file are easy, mostly using the scaling formula right in the AEM Manual and the thread I found above, but I have not had a chance to install mine and check it out. Will do that soon.

Well I went with the older plug N play to keep it simple because simple is good! If I read it rite on my tunerprort I repin the EGR pin to use the wideband for data logging? And will this just be for data logging or will it do Lambda for NB to replace my stock NB? I'm glad y'all are on here helping me out I will have a lot of novice stupid questions before I get her tuned in rite. And thanks again for helping an old guy out!

Something I forgot to mention is that I only have 15hg at idle around 600 and I've tried advancing the timing which gave me 1 more hg but I got ping and dropped it back to 16 base. I've drowned it in carb cleaner and cant find any vac leak so I guess what I'm asking is will the MAP SD system like this ever work rite with that low vac at idle? at about 2000rpm it get up to 20/21 hg. I figure there must be some kind of work around for the idle, hoping anyways. Also after data logging and hearing ping it showed no timing knock retard but lots of knock counts?