Thread: 94 Z71 TBI on vortec build runs richer than a crooked politician!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Thanks Dave and donf, lots of good info! I'm on amazon now and confused on which one to buy, the plug and play sounds simple for my old eyes but not as good as the 30-0300? Should I just get the plug n play or the newer better and configure it for tunerpro if possible?
    And yes dave I will defiantly be copying your homework lol! So much good info I cant wait for my fuel pressure gauge, Ostrich and G1 to get here so I can start trying all this out
    For ease follow Dave's suggestion the older AEMs were good. The newer one works faster but really the old one is fine. The changes to the file are easy, mostly using the scaling formula right in the AEM Manual and the thread I found above, but I have not had a chance to install mine and check it out. Will do that soon.

Well I went with the older plug N play to keep it simple because simple is good! If I read it rite on my tunerprort I repin the EGR pin to use the wideband for data logging? And will this just be for data logging or will it do Lambda for NB to replace my stock NB? I'm glad y'all are on here helping me out I will have a lot of novice stupid questions before I get her tuned in rite. And thanks again for helping an old guy out!

Something I forgot to mention is that I only have 15hg at idle around 600 and I've tried advancing the timing which gave me 1 more hg but I got ping and dropped it back to 16 base. I've drowned it in carb cleaner and cant find any vac leak so I guess what I'm asking is will the MAP SD system like this ever work rite with that low vac at idle? at about 2000rpm it get up to 20/21 hg. I figure there must be some kind of work around for the idle, hoping anyways. Also after data logging and hearing ping it showed no timing knock retard but lots of knock counts?

Just in case anyone wants to use the AEM 30-300 in TP with minor reconfiguration. The tech guys at AEM said the formula in the 30-300 manual was correct for the 0-5v wideband output. That and changes to the Range Low and High to match the range of the sensor.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Something I forgot to mention is that I only have 15hg at idle around 600 and I've tried advancing the timing which gave me 1 more hg but I got ping and dropped it back to 16 base. I've drowned it in carb cleaner and cant find any vac leak so I guess what I'm asking is will the MAP SD system like this ever work rite with that low vac at idle? at about 2000rpm it get up to 20/21 hg. I figure there must be some kind of work around for the idle, hoping anyways. Also after data logging and hearing ping it showed no timing knock retard but lots of knock counts?
    Your vacuum does sound a bit low but will likely increase a little with tuning.

The 218/218 @ .050, .484/.484 lift, 110 lsa cammed 305 Vortec I had in my 1999 Tahoe prior to the 8.1 swap idled about 17 in/hg @ 750 in Park/Neutral but dropped down to about 15 in/hg in Drive and about 13.5-14 with the A/C on amd the A/C blowers on high speed. That was after tuning with the idle timing set about 28-30° BTDC.

It had a fairly thumpy idle.

https://youtu.be/-DrxWsO4bRk

Hey Fast355, sounds pretty good! I'm just worried mine being a SD TBI setup that its going to be a real challenge to get the idle under control, its an eye burner. I've read they are a pain with less than 17 hg at idle? Also I don't understand the lack of knock retard or I may be reading it wrong. I've been hitting up the newbie threads trying to get educated on everything, may be easier when the Ostrich comes in and I can practice a bit.

More to come Friday when parts come in... 10.4 mpg hope I'm a quick learner
    Last edited by Jimmie; 10-24-2018 at 01:08 AM.

Remote tuning is possible. The Ostrich 2.0 ( https://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-th...eed-p-169.html ) is a good option for remote tuning. Using the Ostrich 2.0 allows tuning updates to be done at the speed of email. Sending chips in the mail is a slow process.

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 10-24-2018 at 02:35 AM.