Thread: 88 tbi 350 starts up and dies

Carb and Points!

88 tbi 350 starts up and dies

88 chevy 2500 tbi 350/5ml60

I've been chasing this issue for a little while, the truck will start and die as soon as it turns over. stays running if you give her some throttle but will die as soon as she tries to idle.sounds fine when you rev with no load. misses and runs like crap taking off. unplug the map,she runs beautifully. running rich that way but no issues and has 18 in of vacuum at the map port.
    if i plug in the map while running she'll die right away and it looks almost as if the injectors get cut off right before she dies . I've tested the injectors, coolant temp sensor, tps, map, iac, egr solenoid,egr and passages, o2, fuel relay, and oil pressure switch which all test out fine. fuel pump was weak so i replaced it and the filter, and rebuilt the throttle body because of a leaky regulator. replaced the distributor because of a failed coil pickup and replaced plugs and wires too.

The previous owner replaced the original motor with another and swears he didn't change the ecm out. it has the 1227747 ecm and i've not taken it out to check which prom is in it. jumping the terminals to read codes, it gives me the map codes and rich code. i've hooked up my cheap scan tool (innova 3120d) and it reads these codes:

42-EST circuit open or shorted

33-MAP voltage high

32-MAP voltage low

31-park/nuetral switch

55-ECM fault

54-fuel pump circuit fault/fuel relay

52-calibration package chip/ oil pressure sensor low voltage

43-esc circuit low voltage

descriptions are according to the scan tool. I've reset the codes and they go away jumping the terminals but the codes still read through the scan tool whether the mil is on or off.

Is there anything else i should look into before blaming the ECM/PROM?
    should i check to see if the correct PROM is in?

Any thoughts and advice wouldbe great.
    Last edited by lickmyburger89; 10-09-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Start by checking all your ECM grounds. Should be a set at the thermostat housing, and another set on the intake manifold bolt.
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

Fuel Injected!
    If it doesn't flash-out those codes then that scan tool is likely falsely providing them.

Yes, you should check that it has 350 injectors and a 350 prom/BCC in it. You can find an XL file listing BCC codes here.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi/doc/

Carb and Points!
    brian617 I'll recheck those grounds. last i checked them they tested fine no voltage drop between there and the battery. . tried to go over all grounds i could see under-hood.

lionelhutz, that's exactly why i was asking about it. i'll look into the prom . i do believe the injectors are for a 350. orange coding if i remember right. please correctme if i'm wrong at all.

Carb and Points!
    i had a wild hair up my but and played with identifying years on the cheap scan tool,found that 92 and 95 model years read off the same codes as jumping the terminal.

i rechecked the grounds again and they're still good.

Carb and Points!
    the code checks out as an 88 chevy 350 with manual trans AKAT 1192

Fuel Injected!
    Check out this thread. Great troubleshooting list. Work through it and see what you find.

https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/s...hp?tid/200181/

Some suggestions I have if you haven't tried them yet.

- Check the fuel pressure.
    - Check that the EGR valve is closed.
    - Check that the timing mark TDC actually occurs at TDC.
    - Scan it and check that the MAP signal matches the vacuum level as you apply vacuum to it with a vacuum pump.
    - Check all the vacuum lines and such for leaks.

Carb and Points!
    lionelhutz, fuel pressure is good. EGR is closed. I can verify timing is correct. I have checked the MAP with a vacuum pump and multimeter and signal is getting to the pin out, but I don't have a bidirectional scan tool for OBD1 to check what the computer is registering. All vacuum lines are holding air, one of the first things i checked and even plugged all but the map line to be sure after checking the map line would hold vacuum.

Fuel Injected!
    The timing mark is correct, not the timing using the mark.

If you have a laptop, then you can use a cable and WinALDL or TunerproRT to watch the data.

It's not injecting enough fuel, but I'm sure you already know that.

If you're thinking orange terminal posts means 5.7 injectors then that is wrong. The color coding was 2 colors on the angles of that center piece the plug clips to. One side was orange and the other side was black.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...d-part-numbers..

Here is a thread post with a picture showing where the colors would be. They seem to come off easily though and are often not there.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/...ml#post5860981

Quote Originally Posted by lickmyburger89 View Post
    but I don't have a bidirectional scan tool for OBD1 to check what the computer is registering
    You don't need Bi-directional capability, hardly anything OBD1 used Bi-directional. You just need a scanner that can display live data or cable and Tuner pro.
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS

Carb and Points!
    brian617, sorry about the wrong terminology, sometimes my mind leaves me. i understand i need to access live feed but haven't been able to get anywhere on purchasing or borrowing yet.

Loinelhutz, yes, i do know its a fuel issue. i also know my fuel pressure is good.

i'm trying to figure out why the injectors choke with everything connected. spray is perfect until i plug in the map to complete the system and everything i've checked associated has been in spec. they are 350 injectors and they both ohmed out to spec

Quote Originally Posted by lickmyburger89 View Post
    brian617, sorry about the wrong terminology, sometimes my mind leaves me. i understand i need to access live feed but haven't been able to get anywhere on purchasing or borrowing yet.
    Just didn't want you to think you needed a special scanner. Lots of older Snap On scanners can be had pretty cheap, but TunerPro and a ALDL cable from moates is cheap enough.

Carb and Points!
    of course. i'm hoping to have something situated within a week. trying to get this ironed out so i can finally get to the body work

Carb and Points!
    It's been while but here is what. I came across a CHEAP($20) known good matching ECM and bought it thinking an extra lying around wouldn't be a bad idea anyway. For shits and giggles, I hooked it up and there was no change. Before that I borrowed an old mt2500 and it would die out as soon as the key was turned, but it was acting flaky as I was powering it up was well so I was going to just find another scan tool.