Lately it's been happening pretty bad, and I've been paying close attention to what it feels like.

It seems that when I add throttle, I get a momentary surge of acceleration, but then it completely bogs. I've run a few maps with very little timing in certain areas, and that's exactly what it feels like. After a minute, even if I'm just cruising at part-throttle I can feel it surge forward (I assume when it enters closed-loop).

Yesterday while it was running rough I noticed a pop from the engine bay while accelerating under maybe 60% throttle, which I guess must have been a backfire? It definitely wasn't just exhaust popping like you get under decel. AFAIK, backfiring can be caused by either a lean mixture or heavily-retarded timing, right? It's tough without the wideband hooked up (and I don't have time to put it on right now), but I guess I should just try adding some fuel on the warmer side of the open loop table, unless you guys have some other insights.

Again, can anyone point me to the difference between "open loop AFR vs temp" (0x45e) and "startup enrichment vs temp" (0x431)?