The title is a bit misleading, granted, but it seems we have a few number of people who tow here, andmaybe I'll get some input I hadn't considered.

My Dad's truck is a 454/manual trans w/OD, 4.10 gears. He tows a 24' travel trailer very occasionally. I believe its around 3000lbs.

We converted it to TBI not too long ago ('747/$42) and I've done a bit of tuning on it, enough to get him to 128's during normal closed loop operation.

The whole towing thing bugs me a bit though. Due to location/constraints, hooking up the trailer and datalogging isn't likely, which I'm not entirely comfortable with. I believe he towed with it in stock tune (ouch) but didn't notice any adverse affects. I'm guessing much of that was probably based on a conservative tune from GM.

Am I overthinking this, and making an issue where there isn't one? Without a knock sensor, I'd hate for him to hit some of the grades around here, and have it start pinging on him.

When I tuned VE, I increased the entire table proportionally, which seemed to bring VE inline pretty quickly/easily (although I had to make more increases than I expected with the only physical motor changes being an intake, cam, and headers over the stock 454) so I am *thinking* the VE changes will cover the heavier loading that will undoubtedly occur when towing and climbing steep grades. Am I right, or way off base?

I did search, didn't see much specifically about towing, and any related pecularities with tuning for it, if any.