Thread: 1994 F body pcm for 1996 Y body obd II to obd I conversion?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!

1994 F body pcm for 1996 Y body obd II to obd I conversion?

Ok so I have an oddball pcm in my car. The 1996 corvette came with full OBD II and not many people tune them. I have access to a 1994 fbody pcm I can install a 3.9k resister on and attempt the conversion of the pcm can made to work. It is from an Lt1 A4 just like my corvette.My corvette is mostly stock for the time being but needs to have egr deleted and the fuel touched up for the larger tb. Theta when I realized the difficulty of tuning any 96-97 lt1 car. The being stock will change and sending it out for retuning every time I change something just seems to be something I’d like to try and avoid if possible. Any I put would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

Fuel Injected!
    I’m mostly concerned about the trans. I would be Flashing in a 1995 bin with traction control.
    Last edited by Lockdun1; 09-07-2018 at 03:47 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    This is the info on the 95 to 96 4l60 I found I’m wondering if I were to do the conversion is I would be able to change the transmission control files to accept the 96 trans.

1995: Stand alone year! Will not interchange with any other year. This is a PWM transmission. An extra solenoid was added to the valve body to control the pulsed lock up strategy of the conerter clutch. It has a 12 pin case connector, extra wire in the transmission to computer harness and different computer to control the new PWM circuit. Has PWM cast in front pump. Front pump internal passages different to match new TCC strategy. 2 piece TCC control valve in valve body. Has holes in plate, marked in diagram below. 1st design 3-2 valve. 12 pin case connector. '94 computer won't recognise new TCC strategy., and will burn lock-up clutch and 3-4 clutches up. '96 computer isn't compatible with '96 3-2 control solenoid.

1996: The 3-2 downshift strategy was changed to an on /off arrangement. The TCC control solenoid was changed to a 20-31 OHM solenoid, from the previous 10-15 OHM solenoid. The 3-2 control valve was changed to the second design valve. The easiest way to identify the valve is, the second design valve will fall out as soon as the solenoid is removed. The first design has a plug and retaining clip. TCC solenoid remains 10-15 OHMs, which is the same as the '95 arrangement. Has PWM stamped cast in pump. pump is the same as '95. Will not interchange with '95 unless changing 3-2 solenoid, valvebody casting, and seperator plate. Has holes in plate marked in diagram. '94 or '95 computer will not accept the 20-31 OHM 3-2 solenoid and will throw an SES light and throw the transmission into limp mode. Some less knowledgeable builders will swap the solenoid so the computer will see the correct resistance, but the valve itself then causes downshift issues. If only the solenoid is changed, it will result in a 3-2 downshift cut loose. In other words...3-neutral-2 downshift. Speedo moved to passenger side of tail housing, but easily changed.

This is off impalaSSforum.com, I was using it to get my information, but you can never be too sure. I don't want to risk any damage.

Carb and Points!
    You can use the 96 tranny with a 95 bin if you use the 3-2 solenoid, valve body, and separator plate from a 95 tranny.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok so as it stands now that’s my main option for the moment if I want to complete the swap. I was hoping that someone had maybe found a way to tune the issue away but if it’s my only option that’s just how it goes.

Fuel Injected!
    I've been driving a car with a swapped 96 LT1/4L60e running a 95 bin flashed 8051 PCM for years now. No issues with the codes or limp mode and it downshifts just fine.

The PCM and harness came from a 94, so I added the PWM solenoid wire and re-flashed to a 95 bin.

I still have the PCM from the 96 and a home built VATS bypass. It works and can run the engine, but I've never tuned it so it's not setup right for the rear gears or tire size or engine mods.