Thread: Need help merging together wirings of 1990 5.7/350 in cabin with 1998 5.7 vortec eng

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Planning is a good thing when re-wiring.

The option to delete the '0411 fuse block is a solid plan.

The list of old TBI wiring that can be reused:
    Fuel Pump Relay wiring.
    Battery +
    Battery -
    Ignition On / Start
    Old TBI fuel injector wiring
    Old TBI coil power
    ALDL Wiring (reconfigured)
    Add HO2S wiring
    Add MAF Wiring

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Planning is a good thing when re-wiring.

The option to delete the '0411 fuse block is a solid plan.

The list of old TBI wiring that can be reused:
    Fuel Pump Relay wiring.
    Battery +
    Battery -
    Ignition On / Start
    Old TBI fuel injector wiring
    Old TBI coil power
    ALDL Wiring (reconfigured)
    Add HO2S wiring
    Add MAF Wiring

dave w
    Thank you Dave.

Fuel Injected!

Question Done some homework...

Ok as i called the thread i have done some homework)), i have made some connector wiring pinout charts for two main connectors i have to merge: The C100 Bulkhead connector & C200 passenger side firewall connector (in 1990 k1500 its called C273 connector, in 1996-1999 C200).

I have obtained a new used untouched wiring of a 1998 Tahoe with fuse-box and everything uncut/untouched, and started looking on how to merge my in cabin wiring with new under-hood, i as well have my old under-hood wiring. And what confuses me is this, the old under-hood wiring was looped with the in cabin wiring, because everything was going from engine to cluster and modules behind cluster & behind the dash and then to the ECM with corrected by modules or cluster signals i guess, not direct. Where as in 1998 vortec the under-hood wiring is hooked up directly to the PCM. So for me to hook up my cluster and all the modules inside the cabin as well as under-hood modules that my old wiring goes to like ABS & Cruise control, how should i pair the wirings Sensors -> new PCM - > Incabin, and if one wire has to go to both, just split it? Or does it have to be sensors -> cluster and in cabin staff -> New PCM.
    For example my VSS signal used to go from trans case to C100 Bulkhead -> Cluster -> C273 passenger side -> ECM. I can live that as it is and get the VSS signal to my New PCM from C273 connector, but that will bee a hell of a loop of wires around the cabin, or i can just have the VSS signal go directly to the PCM From the trans case, and then have separately signals go from pcm to speedo etc..

As well i`m a bit confused on how to merge these connectors C100 & C200/C273 together correctly, totally different wires in old vs new C100 & C200/C273 connectors, only a few are coming and going to from to same place in one-another...

Hope my tables will help someone and ease their job.

If someone could suggest me a way out with my headache, i would appreciate, a psychologist will do but only if he has experience in swapping L31 into 1990 L05 truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are several ways to accomplish your wiring goals. A good first step would be to Identify and label the necessary wires. Be careful about wire colors, for example the fuel pump relay wire is usually green with a white stripe just like the AC wire is usually green with a white stripe. Skills reading schematics and skills using an OHM meter is a requirement, not optional.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Hello Dave, thank you for warning me about colors, i assumed there isn't different color for every connection, all thaw they could have achieved it using shades and stripes like they do. Yes i am marking every wire, to see exactly what it is and where it's leading to, as well to see what i can throw away, like EGR for example, i have it closed with a plate, so no need wiring connection for it.
    But still quite confused, on the best way to merge my engine compartment wiring old and new together via C100 & C200/C273 between each other, for best configuration achievement...

Fuel Injected!
    Thank you Dave, I have seen the video, a lot of info, i am as well signed up to the facebook group and have posted my pinout chart their, in case someone will find them useful, but i haven`t seen the pictures and read the comment from the "1999-2002 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L Harness Re-Work Step by Step" that you have provided a link to, will study, a lot of helpful info their. Thank you