Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fuel Pump, Filter and lines

Administrator
    I've also used that tool for years, and I use O rings purchased at the local parts store labelled as "9mm" and "7mm" for the 3/8" and 5/16" steel lines. No problems, less tearing. The tool is awesome along with the arrangement of expensive tubing benders I use. But there are some fittings which are still out of reach: Ford power steering fittings. Ford does fun stuff like make the tubing 3/8" diameter up to the O'ring then 5/16" for another 1/2". There's no way to duplicate that. And GM transmission lines. The crimped fitting is almost right but the OD doesn't quite fit in the fittings. I have to sand the OD of the tubing until it fits and even then it's tight. And some newer GM fuel lines. Like Ford, they've decided to change the diameter of the tubing and O ring so it's smaller than the line it's made from. I have no qualms about using rubber fuel hose as long as the length is kept to a minimum, it's routed and secured safely, and the fittings it's slipped over use some type of barb.

Now does anyone know where I can find the worm clamps typically found on European cars? The ones which don't have holes for the thread of the pinch bolt, but have a stamped surface instead?

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Now does anyone know where I can find the worm clamps typically found on European cars? The ones which don't have holes for the thread of the pinch bolt, but have a stamped surface instead?
    No but I like them to as they don't tear the rubber fuel line. Older American cars had one similar on radiator hoses years ago, when you loosen the screw you need to hit the screw down to release clamp. My LT1 uses all spring clamps on coolant hoses which do not damage the hose, they also come in replacement fuel filters for carb cars. But I don't think they are rated for EFI pressure...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Is this the type of clamp you are looking for?
    hose clamp.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    I'll have to see if they are still around. I used to spend more time in that area, but I've moved a fair distance away. What are the specs for the return and feed lines? I believe they need to know type (Viton as I recall) as well as ID, OD, and thickness of the o-ring. Anyone have that info handy?
    "Frankentruck" is a "1985" K5, TPI 350 '165/6E (Vortec Heads, SDPC2000 base, roller cam, headers), 32 Spline SM465, 205 w/VSS, 10b/14SF, 3.42's and 33" tires. Soon to be boxed frame, '87 sheetmetal, and TPI w/ '727

Administrator
    Poze, yes those are the clamps.

Eaglemark, spring clamps will work for EFI but you have to get the sizing right. Spring clamps (constant tension type) are good because they will automatically self adjust over time as the hose changes. There are also clamps designated as "fuel injection type" which are used in Chrysler vehicles among others.

hose_clamp.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    I purchased Euro clamps at a local bolt and fastener company that is now out of business. Here is the company that sells them.
    Au-ve-co (American Vehicle Parts Company)
    https://www.auveco.com/eSource/ecom/...1&bulkexists=1

Quote Originally Posted by dyeager535 View Post
    Obviously it's just a drawing, but they show a thinner o-ring to boot. I assume you used the "stock" o-ring for that size tubing?

Has anyone found a reasonable source for the fuel proof (Viton, right?) o-rings in reasonable quantities? I visited a place in Seattle that was really knowledgable on o-rings, and had a ton of stock of them, and they made mention at the time that they sold them in a min quantity of 100. They gave me a couple free (which was all I needed) but I've not had need of a vendor since. Would be nice to get the right fuel injector o-rings, not to mention the fuel/power steering o-rings without paying GM's prices. Not that they were ridiculously expensive, but I'm sure they can be had significantly cheaper elsewhere.
    I found them at the local advance auto. I was actually looking for the standard O-rings for a power steering line, but I stumbled across these and they were the right size, and they sealed just fine, never did find the power steering o-rings. But they were in the section where they keep their repair lengths of fuel lines and quick connects. The package has a yellow background and says Dorman Quick Disconnect. And its a fuel line o-ring assortment, it had two 5/16 and two 3/8 o-rings. It has the number 800-013 on the package.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

F/I hose clamps Dorman 55172 at napa $4.99
    dorman 55172.jpg

Viton F/I orings napa 730-4912 2-5/16 and 2-3/8
    http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...912_0006394118

232774.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    Y'ouch. $2+ each. I'll see what I can come up with locally. :)
    "Frankentruck" is a "1985" K5, TPI 350 '165/6E (Vortec Heads, SDPC2000 base, roller cam, headers), 32 Spline SM465, 205 w/VSS, 10b/14SF, 3.42's and 33" tires. Soon to be boxed frame, '87 sheetmetal, and TPI w/ '727

Fuel Injected!
    Place in Seattle just quoted me .50 to .75 each. Still need to take a couple of old ones in just to compare, but the guy I spoke with was pretty certain he knew which ones I needed.

Anyone happen to have the cross section of the o-rings? Can have various cross sections among the same diameter ring.

If these are the right ones, would anyone be interested? No minimum. For the price I figure I should just start replacing them every time I have something apart that uses them. I've been sneaking by without doing that. :(

No guarantees it will be any time soon, I'm not up there very often.

Are these the same thing? http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-FDA-VIT...item2c5e1b88fd
    Last edited by dyeager535; 04-17-2012 at 10:51 PM.

I just don't have anything apart to check? But if you do ever follow through on this count me in for $20 or $30 worth to buy enough and get down to .50 cent range. Good deal at 1/4 price!

These are fuel line right? I have no need for injector o rings as they are always supplied in rebuild kit and supplied by Mr Injector when you get injectors serviced.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I told them fuel line (and Viton), but the place is an o-ring supplier, not automotive, so that's why they want me to bring samples in to make sure the cross section is right. I know the injector ones are really thick comparatively, so if it was a choice between those two sizes, pretty easy to tell the difference. The power steering uses the same o-rings if I'm not mistaken, so yet another application for them. That ebay link looks even more affordable, but it goes back to knowing the cross section. Maybe someone on thirdgen knows.

I tried measuring some o-rings previously, and found it very difficult to know what the "real" thickness was since the new ones are so soft. I don't know how many variations there are in thickness for a given size, I'd hate to get the wrong ones that were just a few thousandths off.
    Last edited by dyeager535; 04-18-2012 at 05:48 PM.

That ebay link looks even more affordable, but it goes back to knowing the cross section.
    Checked their O ring size PDF and it's all american, I beleive the fuel lines on EFI are metric. So if we had correct size they may have them, or SAE equivelent, but then we may be a few thousnds off?

-= =-

The power steering uses the same o-rings if I'm not mistaken, so yet another application for them.
    Yes, they do. Like mentioned in my above post, I was needing some o-ring for a gm power steering line, and all I could find were the fuel line o-rings, witch were identical, other than being brown and fuel proof.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Found a bunch of sizes for injectors but no fuel line o rings here... I checked the o ring sizes listed and only one was same size as new ones I have in a box from a TBI rebuilt kit for top of injector. Bottom o ring of injector is bigger diameter then I have here, not by much.

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?...hText=tbi+fuel

-= =-