Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Pump, Filter and lines

Fuel Injected!

Fuel Pump, Filter and lines

Used a tool to make GM o-ring line ends and used a GM TBI filter. I used a patch flex line at the engine and no clamps on anything. All o-ring or double flare.
    Feel free to criticize. I am learning this is my first one. I did move the pump below the bottom of the tank. Picture shows it above the bottom of the tank. Glad to here the bubble is no trouble in the filter.
    One source demanded the pre-filter to be vertical to eliminate the bubble. He claimed it would make the pump noisy.
    mg3 001.jpgmg3 002.jpgmg3 003.jpgmg3 004.jpg

I moved your post as it deserves it's own thread. And very nice work!

I've never noticed a difference because of a bubble? It's just a small bubble inside top of filter. Not like it's a aerated foaming action...

If you read directions on the Carter p5000 or 5001 external pump it does not have to be mounted below tank. That is just optimum position for a fuel pump and has spread through internet like gospel truth. IIRC directions say no more then 18 inches above tank! Usually theres no reason to go that high as top of tank is fine. Biggest issue is no suction leaks between tank and pump or it will suck air. Clogged sock in tank makes it suck air or collapse line, clogged pre filter as I showed in other thread will also make a external pump noisier. As soon as my son pulled in the shop I heard the pump louder and went straight to the clear pre pump filter.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

hey that looks pretty slick. Is that a toyota axle? what is that in?

I've never heard of a bubble making the pump noisy. pumps are usually mounted level with the top of the tank or below to help prime the pump. Ive put them as much as 20" above the tank with no issues.
    Last edited by PJG1173; 04-06-2012 at 11:00 PM.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Fuel Injected!
    If you don't mind....what tool did you use to make the lines, and what kind of steel line did you use? I've heard sometimes the seams split when flaring.

I think I've resigned myself to buying the flaring tool for the o-rings, using -AN is about the same cost, and requires more connections unless I start cutting the factory flex lines, which I dislike doing.

I've seen tools that claim to do the flares for about $90, which if I did two vehicles would be worth it. Unless you want to rent yours out. :)

This is the flaring tool I have, I have not pulled my manual flaring tools out of my tool box after getting this one. It's been a very worthwhile investment. There are cheaper sources for it, they all seem to be the same parts just with someone else's sticker on it. I'm probably going to sell my manual flaring tools now.

http://www.mactools.com/shoponline/product/tabid/120/p-318195-universal-hydraulic-flaring-tool-set.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

That's way nicer then mine that only does flares and swags. But mine has done well. If it's got decent dies and you use some oil they will not split, do them dry and they split.

Does that one do the O ring GM fittings too? Man they look like they'd be hard...

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Yes, can't quite justify the expense of that kit like I can a plasma cutter. :) I fully intend to use it on exactly two vehicles, and then perhaps random repairs from then on out, but very infrequent.

If you don't mind, and you want to get rid of the manual stuff, PM me and let me know what tool you have, and how much you want for it! I'm not in a big hurry, but always on the lookout to save a few bucks!

Fuel Injected!
    The tool Six_Shooter is showing works great and it is the only tool I know of to form the GM o-ring end. It does not form the line perfect and it tends to pinch the o-ring but I haven't had any leaks. Another option is most parts stores sell the o-ring tubing repair kits that are about 16" long. They come with compression fittings that I throw away. A better connection is double flare using an inverted union. I think Mastercool sells the hydraulic flare tool for about $300. Mine is Snap-On and i don't want to remember what I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by POZE View Post
    Mine is Snap-On and i don't want to remember what I paid for it.
    I'm in the same boat, I know I got a good deal on it, comparative to full MAC pricing, but still would rather not remember. LOL

The Saginaw flares (AKA "GM flares") I have done with it have been great.

The flares are always done right, the first time.

the best part is that because it's hydraulic, you can use it in places that a conventional flaring tool would not fit. For instance, about a week and a half ago, I flared a transmission cooling line on a 2000 Yukon, where the flare itself was located pretty much just below the crank pulley, a conventional flaring tool would have not worked well in that area.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Mine has been used enough to be rebuilt one. Hydraulic leak = $100 wallet leak.

Fuel Injected!
    Whoops. Thought there was a manual unit for that flare, wrong style (bubble).

Cannot vouch for the vendor, but at $178, fairly reasonable. Only doing 5/16 and 3/8", but that's all I have in any case. http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...ookup=MAS71400
    Last edited by dyeager535; 04-07-2012 at 01:17 AM.

Wow, I had no idea you could buy a tool that made the o-ring flares! I have always thought how great that would be to have, plus I have been meaning to buy a quality double flare tool. I bought one of the cheap parts store units and it wasnt even worth being a paper weight.
    I like that mac one. I may have to look into one once I get some money.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Dam, I thought the last link posted to sparkfun was fun... man this one gonna cost me...

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    This probably sounds like a lecture but I will post anyway. The reason I believe in o-ring and double flare on the pressure side of the system is for safety. I takes a little more time to install but the cost isn't much more than good rubber fuel line. We do accept liability with our installation practices and bad things can happen.

Another thing I plan on doing is installing a Ford inertia switch on the FP feed wire.

Someone asked about what type of fuel line to use. Steel brake line works well but never use copper. I have double flared lines for years using the cheap tools. It can be done if you practice a little.

Quote Originally Posted by dyeager535 View Post
    Whoops. Thought there was a manual unit for that flare, wrong style (bubble).

Cannot vouch for the vendor, but at $178, fairly reasonable. Only doing 5/16 and 3/8", but that's all I have in any case. http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...ookup=MAS71400
    That one has limited dies, the one I use, does the Saginaw, single and double flares, along with the Ford style push connectors, at not much more (from the right source), to do everything you could ever need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by POZE View Post
    Another thing I plan on doing is installing a Ford inertia switch on the FP feed wire.
    I would NEVER use a Ford inertia switch. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, but they are overly sensitive. I've seen a bunch of Ford cars, Mustangs mostly, that when launching at the track shut off just after launch, due to the inertia switch tripping from a hard launch. A few friends that have Fords and are into wheeling have also experienced similar issues, when rock crawling or attempting steep or difficult terrain, and get a sharp jolt when tilting or maneuvering.
    I'm a fan of the engine mounted oil pressure safety switch myself.