Thread: New to forum, not so new to TBI.

Carb and Points!

New to forum, not so new to TBI.

Hi all,

This is my first post here on the forum. Looking to learn more about TBI since I just did a rebuild on my fathers old 1992 C1500 and swapped a 5.7 in it since it had a 4.3 with 323K miles! (wow!) Anyway, wanting to learn more about tunes, maybe get a couple done and then try for myself. Thank you all for the great info on here.

When you put the 350 in, did you also change the ecm or the prom? A 4.3 prom won't work very well. If using the original ecm, it is probably an 8625. If that is the case, get a 350 memcal and it will at least be drivable. If you swapped put the ecm when you did the engine upgrade, you should be able to get it driving. Get a obd1 cable and tunerpro rt and start data logging.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_in_dorris View Post
    When you put the 350 in, did you also change the ecm or the prom? A 4.3 prom won't work very well. If using the original ecm, it is probably an 8625. If that is the case, get a 350 memcal and it will at least be drivable. If you swapped put the ecm when you did the engine upgrade, you should be able to get it driving. Get a obd1 cable and tunerpro rt and start data logging.
    Hi and thanks for the reply. I installed a 6299 ECU and AWLB prom along with it. Instead of sourcing a correct AWLH prom for the 5.7 and 5-speed, I had one burned by someone else. I am less than happy with how things have gone. I am currently seeking a stock AWLH chip for it. I don't think I need to data-log it yet, as it is a stock swap. I really just need a stock chip to get me by for now. But eventually I would like to data log and maybe even make my own.

Quote Originally Posted by ILIKEMYTBI View Post
    Hi and thanks for the reply. I installed a 6299 ECU and AWLB prom along with it. Instead of sourcing a correct AWLH prom for the 5.7 and 5-speed, I had one burned by someone else. I am less than happy with how things have gone. I am currently seeking a stock AWLH chip for it. I don't think I need to data-log it yet, as it is a stock swap. I really just need a stock chip to get me by for now. But eventually I would like to data log and maybe even make my own.
    Ok, that ecm doesn't have a lot of support, if you cannot find the stock prom you are looking for, the 7747 ecm is plug and play, it has a lot of work done to it, and the ASDX bin is for a 5.7 manual truck. Good luck with your hunt.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_in_dorris View Post
    Ok, that ecm doesn't have a lot of support, if you cannot find the stock prom you are looking for, the 7747 ecm is plug and play, it has a lot of work done to it, and the ASDX bin is for a 5.7 manual truck. Good luck with your hunt.
    Thanks, I didn't realize that the 6299 lacked support before I purchased it. I can see that now. I will definitely be switching to the 7747 here.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILIKEMYTBI View Post
    Wouldn't count the 6299 out if you're running a bone stock setup. Perhaps someone who's done this could chime in with their experience. AWHD is 5.0 and 5 speed, possibly could have the BPW changed to what a 5.7 calls for and run with that.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by stew86MCSS396 View Post
    Wouldn't count the 6299 out if you're running a bone stock setup. Perhaps someone who's done this could chime in with their experience. AWHD is 5.0 and 5 speed, possibly could have the BPW changed to what a 5.7 calls for and run with that.
    That's a good idea. I sent my AWLB chip to Dave W. and he is going to put something together for me for my application. I will keep your thought in mind when I begin to dabble with my own chips

Thanks,
    Jacob

Fuel Injected!
    This was a hind sight thought...using Dave W BPW calculator, BPW was approximate 1.25 difference between 5.0 vs 5.7. Haven't tried load/compare other parameters in TPRT 5.0 vs. 5.7 to see how different the two would be.