Thread: Help ECM swap tpi

Fuel Injected!

Help ECM swap tpi

I'm going to start a project in my s10 97 I'm going to put a sbc 350 with tree 218 @ 224 a .050 with vortec heads and I want to do it efi I like the tpi system of the 90s the one that does not have a maf ... but as I have a little budget to buy an ecm and harness from a model of the 90 I ask you if there is a way for some other computer to do it in tpi system to be programmed with tuner pro and it is not difficult for me to make a harness as measured and listened to the ecm of 6 cylinders of the 3.1 can be modified sera sierto that beforehand thanks

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by aviles View Post
    I'm going to start a project in my s10 97 I'm going to put a sbc 350 with tree 218 @ 224 a .050 with vortec heads and I want to do it efi I like the tpi system of the 90s the one that does not have a maf ... but as I have a little budget to buy an ecm and harness from a model of the 90 I ask you if there is a way for some other computer to do it in tpi system to be programmed with tuner pro and it is not difficult for me to make a harness as measured and listened to the ecm of 6 cylinders of the 3.1 can be modified sera sierto that beforehand thanks
    Years ago I had great luck running a TPI 305 in a G20 van with a 1997 V8 Black Box PCM. Have to use the Vortec electronics, crank reluctor and timing cover but it worked very well. I did some tuning to dial in the system but it started up, idled, ran and drove perfectly on the stock 1997 Tahoe tuning.

There could be challenge$ finding an affordable lower Vortec TPI intake manifold?

There are several options to get a V8 working in the 1997 S10, some options with TPI and some options without TPI.

One low cost option without TPI, is to install a completely stock 1996 - 1999 Vortec 350 from a salvage yard. Then modify the V6 harness that is already in the S10 for a V8 engine (basically the V8 Injector Pod Connector wiring). The next step is custom program the S10 computer for a 1996 - 1999 Vortec 350 V8 (basically a slightly modified factory stock Vortec 350 V8 flash). Basically this option is a "Stock" engine swap that will run very well with "Stock" computer programming.

After getting the stock 1996 - 1999 Vortec 350 up and running, then upgrade to a Vortec TPI intake system?

The 1996 - 1999 V6 and 1996 - 1999 V8 "Black Box" computers are SEQUENTIAL Fuel Injection computers.

It's always debatable what is a good, better, be$t option. Seemingly, the more SkillS one has usually equal$ le$$ money to $uce$$.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    my idea is to put an intake of lt1 with its hole for the distributor I like the idea of the system tpi modified by my intake lt1 harness made by my engine armed by me with an extra hp in inmates not very aggressive but I can use a daily as I comment I'm familiar with the tuner pro I'm not an expert but I know how to fix them with a little help from you I like the tpi because it brings something of the old and a little bit of what is not so new and I like its way of adapt as I commented an extra hp for work of heads tree Rocket arms 1.52 roller and I want it for daily use I hope you can guide me with my project I just need to define the ecm that by its comments the 1227727 is the most suitable no doubt but the memcal ??? I could not spend $ 300 on a memcal for vette or camaro sd this is where I deal with your wisdom you can work a v6 memcal with some clear setting with your .bin de camaro tpi

Usually successful projects are: simple, low cost, and without tons of modifications. Seemingly the plans outlined above are not simple, not low cost, and likely require tons of modifications? Perhaps the goal is looks vs. performance? A stock L31 Vortec 5.7 liter will certainly "UP" the performance of ANY S10! OBD1 computers are good, OBD2 computers are better. My daily driver is a 1999 S10, with a stock L31, upgraded to the '0411 PCM, including coil on plug ignition system using the 24x crank trigger system from EFI Connection.

I'm thinking the LT1 intakes will only fit LT1 heads. Maybe LT1 intakes will fit Vortec heads without modification?

The PIC below shows V6 to V8 Memcal Modification. Some connector parts (mostly the brittle plastic parts) for the 1227727 have been OBSOLETE for more than 15 years now, leaving the salvage yard is the only source for brittle plastic parts. With some homework the 1227727 V6 connectors can be re-pinned to run a V8 TPI system. Good soldering skills will come in handy when working with the 1227727, because extracting the pins out of the 1227727 connector is NOT EASY! There are challenges finding new connector pins for the 1227727.

V8 Mod.jpg

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    my project is to use accumulated parts I have lt1 intake lt1 heads an old sbc armed with cam a s10 that I no longer use and I came to mind that change of style for the s10 I am fan of chevrolet I have a transam 96 with lt1 carburetted and transmicion 350 running 11:80 is why I want to venture to do the project of the s10 with its valuable help in programming and the use of the adequate pcm since I want to build a system tpi mpfi speed density I have a burn 2 and the interface of moates to see live data I am familiar with tuner pro but I still have a lot to learn and my idea is a sbc gene 1 head lt1 intake lt1 a tpi or mpfi system but with transmission control for a 4l80e and read that the pcm 16197427 could help to make work engine and transmicion any help would be very grateful

16197427 $OE or $31 are definitions used for the 4L80E transmission.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-31

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-OE

The attached .zip has information to convert the 16197427 to MPFI.

dave w
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    you hear it was a very good project with the electronics of a vortec I want to use what I have saved thanks

Fuel Injected!
    thanks dave w I appreciate it I'll work with that

Try using the WBO2 tuning spreadsheet I developed, with the 16197427 MPFI system: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...g)-Spreadsheet

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Returning to the project and read about 3 different computers which would be the appropriate or easier to modify for MPFI and control of 4l80 I think that the 427 output of a truck tbi

Quote Originally Posted by aviles View Post
    Returning to the project and read about 3 different computers which would be the appropriate or easier to modify for MPFI and control of 4l80 I think that the 427 output of a truck tbi
    That is a good plan.

dave w