Thread: GM TBI on a 1966 283 Engine - Getting a Code 42

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!

GM TBI on a 1966 283 Engine - Code 42 and Other Problems

After introducing myself on the other thread I'm just going to jump in and tell you my GM TBI issue...

I have a 1966 Chevrolet El Camino with a 283 engine, 2bbl, powerglide, A/C and P/S. The vehicle is mostly stock including the engine.

After years of frustration with points & condenser and carburetor issues I thought updating to a 1990's GM TBI was just the ticket. I bought a kit from a company I found via the internet. As you know, there are several kits out there and they all seem very similar to me. The kit I purchased included the wiring, most of the hard parts and some basic instructions and troubleshooting tips. I've spent the better part of 8 weeks trying to get this thing to work. Here are the details:

I was able to install the TBI system in about a week. Ran the return fuel line, changed the fuel sending unit to allow for a return line, installed an external fuel pump (relatively low, near the bottom of the tank), pulled the old distributor, installed the small HEI distributor, attached the TBI adapter plate, TBI, ran the wires.... Presto, the engine started the first time. Wow was I ever happy. The thing ran great and I was giving myself high-five's for doing such a good job. I took the car for a test drive and marveled with the throttle response, etc. Then the check engine light came on - code 42.

Under a variety of conditions I get a code 42 indicating something is askew with the timing/spark. I installed a new ignition module in the distributor today. No change, still get code 42 under a variety of situations - cold engine, hot engine, idling, etc. If there is any consistency to the check engine light turning on I guess I'd say it's during relatively low-speed operation. But I've even had it happen at highway speed.

I don't want to tune and tweak and wring every HP out of the engine like many people on this forum. I just want a vehicle that's reliable enough for my wife to feel comfortable driving it. Unfortunately, that's not the case as this time.

I have a 1320 Electrontics scan tool that allows me to capture data. I can see the point when code 42 is triggered but I have no idea how to diagnose this issue any further.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by nvestysly; 08-02-2018 at 12:13 AM.