Thread: Changed your fuel filter lately?

Changed your fuel filter lately?

My kids 72 IH 345 truck with the new TBI conversion that tuned out perfectly a week ago has been running worse each day. So kid says "I don't know" so we pull it in shop to find out whats going wrong... this filter was one week old. Happens all the time on conversions in old cars, new fuel system keeps gas flowing and sediment stired up and this is another reason you always run a filter before the inline pump.

So you say you made need a filter ay?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I have one of the exact same clear filters right before the pump on mine. Not near that nasty, but I have gotten few little peices of crud in it before.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Well we knew the tanks was dirty and left the sock off as I always do to avoid it being plugged from the constant stream. But I had no idea it would fill this filter to point of running poorly in a week. The filter is very heavy!!!

-= =-

Is that rust or dirt/crud? Looks like its time to drop the tank and flush it out.

I have me a plastic rear mounted tank from a late model XJ I am gonna swap into my cherokee. Has a MPFI in tank pump already installed!
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Is that rust or dirt/crud? Looks like its time to drop the tank and flush it out.
    I would tend to agree. I had the same problem when I did the v8 conversion on my toyota. cloged the filter within weeks. on the second clogged filter I decided to pull the tank and clean it. there is now a new tank in the truck....
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Fuel Injected!
    Fuel tank pick up filter 70 microns
    Fuel filter 30 microns
    Injector filter 10 microns
    I started at the tank and worked forward on my 1978 tbi conversion. I expected a dirty tank. 39k miles on a 1978.
    I like that clear filter idea. Anyone ever mount a clear in line filter horizontal? Was wondering how long they hold an air bubble?

Administrator
    I like that clear filter idea. Anyone ever mount a clear in line filter horizontal? Was wondering how long they hold an air bubble?
    Sometimes forever.

Yeah I have mounted horizontal all the time and yes they seem to have a bubble all the time.

Tank did not look that bad or we would have flushed it when out. All lines were flushed before install. I'm guessing sludge washed to a corner and we didn't see it. We will change filter every week for now and if have time pull tank and flush. I've run into this before and after a few tanks of gas and a few filters it takes care of itself. Last filter lasts a year between maintenece. Worst one was four filter changes in four tanks then fifth tank full of fuel with new filter, filter looked clean.

Fuel tank pick up filter 70 microns
    Fuel filter 30 microns
    Injector filter 10 microns
    I always remove the intank sock when using an external fuel pump. This way you can see if clear filter before pump is getting dirty/clogged. If not your kind of stumped because the in tank sock will restrict when running down highway and die and crud will fall off and vehicle will start later... don't ask!

But then also run the metal can Injector filter after pump as well because of the finer filtering as you mentioned.

-= =-