Thread: BLMs say rich, but WBO2 and NBO2 and surging all say lean - what gives?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    I initially used the amyb_88 5.0/5-speed bin, but there were some significant differences between that and the 5.0/Auto bin from my existing factory chip. Throttle Follower, in particular, drove the car kind of bizarre. My more pressing issue is a fuel pressure one; I need to resolve that one before I can go any further.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
    I initially used the amyb_88 5.0/5-speed bin, but there were some significant differences between that and the 5.0/Auto bin from my existing factory chip. Throttle Follower, in particular, drove the car kind of bizarre. My more pressing issue is a fuel pressure one; I need to resolve that one before I can go any further.
    I'm wondering what type of fuel pressure gauge you are using? Liquid filled gauges can and will vary due to under hood temperatures.

Interesting read: https://www.verociousmotorsports.com...-Filled-vs-Dry

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I'm using a liquid-filled gauge that came with the regulator.

Previously I had just the gauge threaded into an aluminum T that I machined so I could read the supply pressure. The gauge fluctuated all over the place, and I could not find a consistent pressure. I had made the TBI regulator adjustable, but it wasn't holding consistently.

Last night I took the spring out of the TBI regulator, removed the sealing-pintle-thingie from the diaphragm, reassembled it and plumbed the regulator. Now rock-solid pressure gauge!

IMG_20180724_110326651s.jpg

IMG_20180724_110312843s.jpg

So, of course - take it out for a drive!

Still going lean, even fattened up more! What the hell!

And then a header gasket blew out (bolt came loose, I thought it was a burned valve - grrrrrr.).

So now it's in my shop cooling down so I can get my hands in there. Hoping I can just tighten it up and it'll seal ok.

I tell you, this car is kicking my butt.

Until THAT is fixed, no new news.

Fuel Injected!
    Well, you guessed it. Tightening the bolts didn't work. So, I'll pick up a new header gasket tomorrow. Remflex this time, because grrrr.

Sweet fuel pump pressure, though!

Fuel Injected!
    Fixing all the error codes will be a good start est error means its probably not controlling timing the high map code could stop it even reading the map sensor and run off a default table like a lot of other ecus that just use rpm vs tps to come up with a default map value .do you not have a speed sensor either
    Last edited by delcowizzid; 07-25-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    The error codes were all fixed a while back, I'm not getting any error codes since then. My bad for not getting back to y'all.

I have no speed sensor.

Fuel Injected!
    I put a new header gasket in (2.5 hours, grrr), and went for a rip. Out of sheer misery, I just went fatter and fatter just to see what it would do. Within a couple blocks I could feel where the surging was, so I'd pull over, fatten the VE 5 steps, burn, and try again. We're looking at about 50% fatter in and around 30kPa. Here is the resultant VE Table so far, with lean surge almost all gone (this table is by no means final, I just needed to get out of the heat for today):

18-07-25.jpg

I'm also noticing not only did the BLMs never go over 128, once I restricted the BLMs to not go below, today I noticed the INT not going above 128. Interesting. I found a similar experience at https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...ped-128-a.html, so I looked through my own bin and turned the DFCO limits back to what was stock (I had previously tried to have them "off"). I have not tested this, so I don't know if it made a difference.

For anyone else who stumbles upon this thread trying to make an 8063 $4D work, welcome. It's screwey. I'm still working on it.