Thread: Speeduino

Fuel Injected!

Speeduino

Hey guys, a while back I installed and have been tuning a Speeduino DIY open source EFI system and wanted to share a few pics as a 'How to' for anyone interested in the system. It uses a readily available Arduino Mega2560 controller. The attraction to the system is the pricing point, with assembled boards for less then a couple hundred dollars and a genuine Arduino for roughly $50. Any auxiliaries, extras or misc for another $20-$40 making it a sub $300 EFI system. Or if you wanted to populate the board yourself with a component kit it's even less. Really it's a nice, simple, easy to use system that is heavily dependent on the end user knowing the in's & out's of EFI, sensors and tuning for good results. The community surrounding Speeduino is growing and the system is growing with every firmware release, which happens every 1-3months.

Speeduino has 4 injector output channels, and 4 ignition logic out channels. It can drive injectors directly from the board but ignition coils need an external control module/driver. With 4 channels it means it can fire 4 cylinder engines sequentially and 6 & 8 cylinder engines are waste spark & semi-batch fire.

Speeduino uses TunerStudioMS software, same as MegaSquirt. However since the firmwares are totally different between the two EFI systems (.ini file) Speeduino has it's own control tables and is not a "Cheap Megasquirt". But we do get VE analyze live ability which is really nice, more on that later.

The board has a built in 0-250kpa MAP sensor capable of reading up to 21psi of boost or can be programmed with any other external MAP of choice. You also are able to control and tune a Variable Valve Timing solenoid (on equiped engines). Electric cooling fan controls, Boost solenoid controls, Idle Air Control PWM or Stepper valve. If you hook up your clutch switch you get Launch Control/Anti-Lag and Flat Shifting. There are also tables to control staged injectors in case you need more fuel injectors per cylinder with your fuel injection.

Speeduino can be set up to run Speed Density (MAP vs RPM tables), Alpha-N (TPS vs RPM tables), You can choose to run VE on MAP axis and ignition on TPS axis or vice versa and there is even an IMAP/EMAP algorithm that reads Manifold Pressure and Exhaust Pressure to determine load (utilizing the engine is an Air Pump idea)

I installed the system on my OBD1 1995 BMW 540i with the 4.0L V8 and manual trans. But it's a versatile enough system that it can function on just about any engine design as long as the trigger pattern is accurate and sensor variables are known.

Seeing as how the system will fire the V8 on waste spark, I decided to change the coil on plug design over to two MSD waste spark coils, MSD DIS-4 ignition box and MSD ignition leads.

Grafting the system to the vehicles original engine harness:

I originally tried to fire the MSD box directly from the Speeduino board but the MSD didn't like the logic 5v trigger, so I installed a 4ch ignition driver known as the Bosch 211 between the Speeduino and MSD.

Once hardware is all set it's time to focus on software:

Load the lastest Speeduino firmware sketch to the Aurdino, the file is in the Speeduino.zip downloaded from the Speeduino wiki site.

Open tunerstudio software and create a new project file using the firmwire .ini file in the Speeduino.zip folder. Then load the base tune from the .zip folder. If you haven't registered TunerStudio you're dash will look something like:

At this point I'd highly encourage registering (paying for) the TunerStudioMS software to unlock some pretty cool tuning tools that wouldn't otherwise be available in the free version.

Now for setting up all of the engine information:

The registered TunerStudioMS will build a base VE MAP for you based on engine specs, because I live at altitude my 84kpa is atmosphere where as at sea level 100kpa is atmosphere.

Calibrate the engine sensors: TPS open & closed ADC count, Wideband O2 sensor output voltage, Intake air temp and coolant temp sensor values:

At this point the engine should fire up: This is now when I lock out the ignition timing values and compare what the actual ignition timing at the crank matches what the software thinks is happening:

If there is any descrepancy you'd go into the trigger settings in tunerstudio and change the offset angle until the ignition timing at the crank matches the software. I had to change my -60 offset to -59 to match.

Once the engine fires up, runs and idles then is up to operating temperature we can let VE Analyze Live (VEAL) start to do it's thing, VEAL will automatically make changes to the VE table in the name of matching your commanded AFR's values in the AFR table

Here's my first fire up video:

Thanks for checking out my build

Well, I do agree that Speeduino is fun and flexible to mess with. There are limitations to it, unfortunately. I am setting mine up for a 4 cylinder, so there are no limitations for me. For those with 5 cylinders and up will have to settle for batch-fire injection and waste-spark ignition. It still is an awesome system, though. It even supports separate flex-fuel maps when you are running E85. It will even recognize the low-res optispark signal, and fire the single coil on the right edge.(select nissan-type optical pickup)

For a V8 with sequential injection and coil-on-plug, I suspect one could parallel (2) 2560 megas together and achieve that goal. Would require a custom carrier board, though. Maybe some tweaks to the firmware, too. I may attempt it sometime in the future just for fun.

Fuel Injected!
    Last night I set up a programing bounty for Nitrous controls, the systems creator and another tuner responded and both started working on code for nitrous controls. Not finished yet but soon Speedy will have advanced nitrous controls:

...we already talked about it and he's going to add AFR limits so nitrous diasables above and below a programmable wideband AFR reading.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by vilefly View Post
    There are limitations to it, unfortunately.
    I do agree. But for all intents and purposes it can handle just about everything a DIY automotive enthusiast could ask for. I don't view batch fire and waste spark as a downside, rather I should say that we wouldn't feel a performance difference between sequential and waste spark. Just slightly less fuel consumption during low load with sequential to meet emissions and higher service interval for spark plugs (The reason sequential was implemented in the first place).

Fuel Injected!
    BTW, with boost capability and easy user interface & tuning I started cooking something up in the shop to take advantage of the system:

I want to experiment with the IMAP/EMAP tuning once this guy is finished and installed.
    Last edited by Mykk; 06-28-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    This is awesome. I'm currently building an Arduino-based VGT controller for my GM 6.5L Diesel. After reading this, I think I will attempt to build a Speeduino for a TBI fed 383 I have in another truck.
    1990 Chevrolet K2500, RCLB, Blueprint 383 TBI (16197427 ECM / 61 lb/hr / 16 psi FP), NV4500, NP241C, 4.10

Electronic Ignition!
    Any news/updates on Speeduino?
    Last edited by xcookpac; 04-16-2019 at 02:40 PM.