Thread: Need help

Fuel Injected!

Need help

Been a while since I been on. Quick refresh - 1995 K2500, 355 build, 217/083 heads, relatively stock compression, vortec cam, edelbrock TBI intake, TBI mods, cop car injectors, about 16 psi fuel pressure, headers, 2 1/2" Y pipe and single 3" exhaust. I have Tuner Pro RT, moates chip adaptor and ostrich 2.0.

Several of you assisted me with tuning about a year and a half ago and got the thing running pretty good but it still needed some fine tuning. I haven't taken the time to finish the project due to time and money so I have basically been driving the thing around the last year on the last bin loaded in the ostrich and never burned a chip. Still had some timing issues and too much fuel at idle, hesitates off idle and blows a puff of black smoke when starting from a dead stop.

Problem: I drove it Sunday with no issues other than usual. Got in it Monday and ran like crap from the moment I started it, only got worse. No power, missing, high idle and check engine light came on. Checked distributor and it was tight, Checked all my vacuum lines and wiring harness connections, nothing found. I'm thinking one of my sensors crapped out. Plugged my lap top in this morning to see if I had all of my 5v references and I couldn't connect, bottom of screen says hardware not found and not ready. While I'm fooling with it trying to connect, key on but not running, my injectors started randomly firing, again engine not running. Now I'm thinking ECM so I pulled it out to check connections, everything looked good. Just for giggles I unplugged the moates adaptor and plugged my stock chip back in. Truck started right up, idled smooth and engine light went off. Took it for a quick drive, good power and no hesitation or black smoke. I think its running better on the stock chip than the custom Bin file. Plugged the chip adaptor back in... running like crap and engine light came back on. Is it possible my ostrich took a dump or lost its memory? I cant connect to see what if any bin file is loaded in it right now. I haven't done this for a while and I feel like a may be forgetting a step. Open tuner pro, plug in diagnostic cable and turn ignition on. Do I need to do anything else before I should see the ready light and hit the connect icon? I've updated my lap top since I've last connected. Could I be missing a driver?
    95 GMC K2500, 4l80e, 4.10 gears, 355 L05 4-bolt block, ARP rod bolts, Speed-Pro H423DCP-30 pistons, moly rings, 217 heads, vortec cam, TBI mods, cop car injectors, headers, 2 1/2" Y-pipe and 3" single exhaust with high flow muffler and cat.

Ok, just to verify, since you're description is a tad confusing, or maybe just not clear...

When you say you "plug in your diagnostic cable", is that the one that connects to the ALDL, or the USB cable to the Ostrich? The only way to connect to teh Ostrich is through the USB cable directly to it. The ALDL cable will only read what's being spit out of the diagnostic line to the ALDL port.

Yes, it's possible that something corrupted the memory in the Ostrich. Connecting directly to it and re-uploading the bin may resolve that.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    ALDL. Computer acknowledges when I plug into the USB port but unable to connect in tuner pro
    95 GMC K2500, 4l80e, 4.10 gears, 355 L05 4-bolt block, ARP rod bolts, Speed-Pro H423DCP-30 pistons, moly rings, 217 heads, vortec cam, TBI mods, cop car injectors, headers, 2 1/2" Y-pipe and 3" single exhaust with high flow muffler and cat.

The detect emulation hardware button is for emulation equipment only, the ALDL cable does not fall into this category.

You need to setup the datalogging side via the preference tab.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    I apologize but I havent done this for a while, but I was doing it quite frequently when I was data logging for my tuner. This is the cable I have http://aldlcable.com/ Everything is set up to the best of my knowledge just as it was then. When I open tuner pro it says not connected. I feel like all I had to do in the past was click in the double arrow icon to connect. When I do that now it changes to connecting but doesn't go anywhere from there.

Fuel Injected!
    Also says hardware not found on the bottom of the screen