Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
I would eliminate the Ostrich 2.0, for the time being. I would try a spare factory Original $6D Memcal. I would UV erase the PROM in the spare factory Original $6D Memcal and reprogram the PROM with the "Starter" programming. I would likely UV erase and reprogram the spare factory Original $6D Memcal PROM with same changes that were tried with the Ostrich 2.0.

I don't think there is a problem with the Ostrich 2.0 or ECM, maybe the Memcal is the problem part?

dave w

I don't have a way to UV erase. I had thought about programming an EEPROM, but that won't solve the problem I have. It runs off the MEMCAL, it just runs very rich, due to the larger injectors with higher fuel pressure and other engine changes.

The fact that scaler changes do have effect, but table changes don't (while emulating) is what is perplexing to me.

The only similar thing I've experienced previously was when I have forgotten to disable checksum and the ECM went into a quasi LHM while emulating, but changes still could affect the way the engine ran, just not as directly as when everything was correct. That was on a '7060 though on a very different application. Checksum was definitely disabled on the Cavalier, I had to manually edit the file with the hex editor, since it seem people that wrote the XDFs for $6D and $A1 didn't define the mask ID bit... *shrug*

At one point I changed the entire tables to 0 for both the idle and main VE tables and the car continued to run as it was. It wasn't in LHM, as the CEL wasn't on during any of this and we could trigger LHM manually by unplugging the Ostrich, at which point the fan would come on.

I also don't believe it's the ECM or Ostrich, since I know my Ostrich works just fine, his was new (which I know is not a guarantee that it's good, but 2 Ostriches being bad in that scenario is unlikely), Like I said originally I tried two different ECMs, and both worked the same.

I also don't believe that it's the G1, or the ribbon cable, because anytime I've had ANY issue with those the ECM would go into LHM, or throw codes (if the problem was on the MEMCAL side for the adapter).

The only codes that did pop up were for knock sensor which the owner says has happened before, and I'll be looking into that more, but is likely just because GM sets the knock sensors to be sensitive, and it's picking up the noise from the new valve train, and one for the )2 sensor, when we did try to drive, but the NB O2 sensor was unplugged at the tine, since my WBO2 was installed in place of it. So I'm not worried about either of those codes.