Thread: Greetings!

Greetings!

Hello everyone!

First off let me introduce myself. I'm Zach, 23 years old from Texas. I've owned about 14 vehicles in my life, the most noteworthy were my 2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt #3461, my 1985 GMC C10 with a 454 BBC Swap, and most recently my 1991 Chevrolet C1500 ECSB 5.7 truck. My latest project is what brings me to this board today, as I'm finishing up in finally getting things dialed in from it's wreck. It looks like somewhere at the beginning of the year, it was in a minor fender bender and it was totalled out by insurance. The damage was minimal, so I bought it for a steal and began work on it. Since then, I've replaced almost the entire front clip, thrown a new rear bumper with a Class 3 Trailer hitch and ran trailer wiring, removed the running boards and old grill guard which took a beating in the wreck, and some other small ins and outs. The truck will be receiving a 4" spindle/block lift this weekend and should be sitting on 32s before the end of the month, along with a 1.5" spacer in the rear for the wheels to match up with the fronts since the spindle pushes them out a tad.

But after the exterior and interior is complete, I'm focusing entirely on performance after that. Mainly, the engine and rear end since the transmission shows no signs of wear or damage. The mods planned are pretty basic, just something to wake up the 350 a bit. Summit K1102 cam/lifter kit (RV cam), EGR delete (might as well get it out now), "Ultimate TBI Mods" which include die grinding the TBI unit a bit (probably have a shop handle that one), 4.10 gears, TBI Air Flow Enhancer (Salad bowl mod, just because) and a full tune-up including new cap/rotor, spark plugs/wires, replacing fuel filter(s), new intake manifold gaskets as the old one seems to be leaking, fresh pads/rotors, and a few other things. I'm mainly here to discuss chip tuning when the time comes to get all of the performance side of things taken care of. TBI tuning is absolutely foreign to me and instead of trying to do my best to learn how to tweak and tune it myself, I'm going to rely on another tuner to have a chip burned for me. I don't have a laptop and I'd rather not spend the money to buy all the self-tuning stuff for my truck when I could just throw on an intake/carb/HEI distributor/FPR and call it done. But I want to work with the TBI unit before doing conversions, because I definitely wouldn't be keeping the TBI heads if I went carb'd. ;)

Feel free to check out the links in my signature for my current build threads. One is the '91 in question and the other is my 2017 Mazda 3, my dedicated daily and sometimes AutoX vehicle. I also have a 1996 GMC Jimmy 2WD that I plan to get fixed up for my little brother sometime in 2019 so he has a nice vehicle to learn how to drive in, and I have a 1994 GMC Jimmy 4WD that I bought with a thrown rod to rebuild but that project is currently on the backburner while I work with my other two. :)

Have a great day!
    Current vehicles:
    2017 Mazda3 Sport (See Build Thread)
    1991 Chevrolet C1500 (See Build Thread)
    1996 GMC Jimmy 2WD

What plans do you have for tuning?

TunerPro RT?

What plans do you have for chip erasing and burning?

Convert the ECM to a 27SF512 chip?

I often think the correct spelling for "Ultimate TBI Mods" is actually spelled CHIP.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Welcome Zach! TBI can be a challenge at times but is still a fairly simple beast to tune compared to the OBD2 stuff.

If you are deleting the EGR I would take the time to go ahead and swap on a carb intake manifold with a TBI adapter. I had an edelbrock performer RPM on my G20 years ago and loved the way it ran compared to the stock TBI intake. With headers and exhaust the intake swap alone after tuning pulled another 500 rpm of powerband out of the stock heads/stock cam TBI 350.

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    What plans do you have for tuning?
    I was actually brought here by a member of the GMT400 boards, and I think you were the person I was sent to talk to actually haha. I was just looking to get a chip burned by someone else to get the K1102 properly running with the truck. I work in the IT field and even though it might sound kind of lazy, I'm not really looking to do self-tuning myself. I'm not the best with math so fuel tables and all that other stuff that I've seen tuners tweak with is just foreign to me. When I say Ultimate TBI Mods, I meant die grinding the ridges down and smoothing out the TBI unit. I've seen it done and I have links to it on my home computer, I'm just not at my house right now. I've been told it gives some gains.
    Current vehicles:
    1996 GMC Jimmy 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    If you are deleting the EGR I would take the time to go ahead and swap on a carb intake manifold with a TBI adapter. I had an edelbrock performer RPM on my G20 years ago and loved the way it ran compared to the stock TBI intake. With headers and exhaust the intake swap alone after tuning pulled another 500 rpm of powerband out of the stock heads/stock cam TBI 350.
    So I have Hedman long tube headers on the truck as-is, and I'm currently in progress of having a custom H-Pipe setup fabbed up for the truck. Running into some issues with the transmission crossmember being in the way of one header but I'm working around it. The intake swap is a great idea and one I didn't even think about, I can grab an 87-95 carb'd intake and just have the EGR completely deleted, no block off plate required. Good call.
    Current vehicles:
    1996 GMC Jimmy 2WD

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by NightRunner View Post
    So I have Hedman long tube headers on the truck as-is, and I'm currently in progress of having a custom H-Pipe setup fabbed up for the truck. Running into some issues with the transmission crossmember being in the way of one header but I'm working around it. The intake swap is a great idea and one I didn't even think about, I can grab an 87-95 carb'd intake and just have the EGR completely deleted, no block off plate required. Good call.
    By elongating the center 4 bolt holes and using a tapered shim, you can run any intake you want. My friend has a single plane torquer 2 on his Yukon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've actually had my eye on this Weiand brand intake. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...make/chevrolet
    Current vehicles:
    1996 GMC Jimmy 2WD