Thread: She went Boom !

Fuel Injected!

She went Boom !

Ah well... my days of tuning are as follows. Brand new hand built 355 - tuner Pro RT. lets take a ride to the gas station and put some good fuel in her. monitoring but not recording ( dummy) I saw things start to go wrong on the data logger. Knocks, spark advance issues, and bang, she bent a valve. Funny because AR was showing 10.8 , it sounded and felt FAT , in any event. I'm done with this. I need to move to SD next week and I'll be NOT bringing it with me..it's on Craigslist South jersey. GMC 2500

As for the Moates complete kit that is for sale too... I need a new hobby...

A bent valve probably wasn't caused by the tune. More than likely a mechanical issue caused it. I understand about being frustrated but it probably would have happened with a carb and standard HEI. I had a mechanical failure that caused me to pull my engine also during the initial build. I had to buy all new pistons and bearings along with polishing the crank. Sorry to hear about your conundrum. I understand fully though.

i put pre assembled heads on my first build that i tuned, i will never trust something i did not do again. bent and snapped off a valve that powdered a piston, busted cam into 6 pieces, powdered a second pistion, turned two pistons into chunks and broke 4 connecting rods and split my block an eighth inch by 4 inches long. i did floor it and thats y it got so bad but it got me across 4 lanes to the shoulder before the end.

My point here is its prolly not your tune, but the quality of parts these days is just terrible. no one cares anymore. it was prolly some mal-inspected part. I am inside my head freaking out on every drive until i've put over 500 miles on a part.

but headaches are headaches...

Fuel Injected!
    Of course the engine guy is going to blame the rookie Tuner.. he did offer to fix it however. But my thought is it's just going to happen again to another cylinder. 3 grand wasted...

Fuel Injected!
    the only reason I said that was because she ran so good on the dyno with a carb , 375/450, eh... it is what it is.. on the other hand the data logger was showing rich if anything. I think it was spark advance issue. as I was taking it on it's first and last drive , laptop on the console, spark advance was 30 while not under load but under acceleration she dropped to like 5-7, which I feel is odd. the only other parameter that was yellow was the LTFT ( i forget what its called) it was at 140 a couple times but mostly 126-130. o2 was in range at 850-900, I wish I had of logged it...dammnit... I'm beating myself up on that one trust me. I was actually bopping down a country road at 45 looking at the dash on TP/RT and was amazed it was getting 23mpg..lol. came up to a stop sign, gassed it, it studered i hit the gas again and I saw yellow and red out of the corner of my eye and service engine light and that was the end.. of course after that I got all kinds of codes , MAP, ignition, I even got a fuel pump relay failure, and several thousand Knock counts.. I shold of knocked myself on the head for getting into this, much easier to buy one already done... all this after a month of torture from auto parts stores getting me the wrong parts, I mean everything was wrong. Advance auto needs help , so Im frustrated , behind schedule, haste makes waste , and boom... my fault.. should of taken more care and took some extra measures to ensure tune was correct.

Fuel Injected!
    On that subject kind of. I saw a video on YT from a guy that bought pre-assembled heads, he was shining a flashlight int eh port and you could see light on the cc side..too funny