Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shift table adjustment???

Fuel Injected!

Shift table adjustment???

Looking to do some modifications to the shift table on my 94 c2500 with a 4l60e trans.
    I want to get the mph up from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Right now it shifts into 2nd at 15mph if my foot is in it or not and into 3rd at 28 or so...
    Here is one of the tables I found but I have no idea what to change and how to do it so I need some
    help and plain English please..
    Thanks6280EBE7-A350-4E87-91FC-486DC913DDC1.jpg

If you post your gear ratio and tire size I will post a "tuned" shift table.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Hi, I saw your PM and I've just had to remind myself what I'd previously done.
    I like to plot my existing curve on a graph so I can visually see whats happening and when. I mark on the graph my current TCC engage, release and shift points (it's easier to graph just one gear at a time otherwise the graph can get confusing).
    I use the info from the TCC/Engage and release thresholds and the upshift/downshift MPH vs TPS tables, then from a TunerPro log I manually plot my actual throttle position and MPH onto the graph, generally when I log I try and drive in the MPH and TP area I want to change so I can get some data to plot on the graph. Once I have that I look at moving the shift point or TCC engage points to suit and it can be a little trial and error.
    In my Yukon I had my TCC lock in third at 30MPH when lightly cruising but as soon as I had any more than light acceleration the TCC would release, this allowed the engine to pick up a few revs on light acceleration and made it feel more responsive to me.
    I also played with the shift point under load when driving uphill and once again I just had it down shift sooner under moderate TP increase and this really woke the truck up.
    That worked for me but it may depend on how you use your vehicle as that might not be ideal in other situations.
    I do remember thinking I got more real world noticeable drivability improvements from tuning the shift and TCC points than I did from tuning the engine.
    Be careful with big shift point changes, you don't want to downshift to 1st at 60MPH or anything like that.

I've just changed from a 46mm TBI unit back to an ultimate TBI modded unit and I've just had to look at tweaking my shifts points because of the slight increase TP% with the smaller stock TBI throttle blades.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kitch; 04-29-2018 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C2500 View Post
    Looking to do some modifications to the shift table on my 94 c2500 with a 4l60e trans.
    I want to get the mph up from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Right now it shifts into 2nd at 15mph if my foot is in it or not and into 3rd at 28 or so...
    Here is one of the tables I found but I have no idea what to change and how to do it so I need some
    help and plain English please..
    Thanks6280EBE7-A350-4E87-91FC-486DC913DDC1.jpg
    That table is about as "plain english" as it gets, as you're driving (or do a log) look at the TPS % and the speed it shifts, my experience is that it will correspond very closely.

At full throttle your 1st to 2nd shift speed should be right at 30 mph, if your hitting 2nd at 18 mph regardless of throttle position you have some bigger issues.
    Dean

Fuel Injected!
    Seeing how I'm currently working on adjusting my TCC lockup and shift points on my van today, here's the changes I've made since I posted the previous graph.

I made the change because I wanted the TCC to release in 3rd gear as I accelerated up and onramp, the release of the TCC feels like mildly shifting down a gear and it just gets the engine RPMing a bit sooner, than if it was bogged down by the TCC being engaged.
    Hopefully you can see from the graph how this can work.

You mightn't want to play with TCC engage/release point much but the same principles can apply to shift points.

Even if Dave sends you a revised shift table it can still be interesting to look at them on a graph and overlay your actual throttle possition % vs MPH over it.
    Last edited by Kitch; 04-29-2018 at 03:51 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks guys, Dave is going to send me a tuned shift table.
    Kitch did you make the graph?? I like your idea about the release of lock up.
    Last edited by C2500; 04-29-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Sample "Tuned" Normal Up Shift / Down Shift and Normal TCC Lock / TCC Unlock for tire size 265/75R/16 (31.6") with 3.42 gears. (shift firmness setting 2 / engine idle RPM = 850 / stall = 1500 RPM / Minimum RPM TCC Lock = 1500 RPM)

SAMPLE ONLY, this is not the "Tuned Shifting" sent to C2500.

"Tuned" = Excel Spreadsheet Calculated.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Attached is an example of the type of shift curves I use.

You want the shift speed to be lower than the speed the truck would reach if you manually held that gear and throttle position.

If throttle position doesn't affect the shift speed then you likely have bigger problems.

Fuel Injected!
    I use BlueCats software to tune the transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    I use BlueCats software to tune the transmission.
    attached ???????

dave w
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dave w; 04-30-2018 at 05:52 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Yep, I just made the base graph up on my iMac using a program called "Numbers" but thats because I'm hopeless with Excel.
    Dave's spreadsheet calculated settings sound cool and everyones suggestions will be better than the stock ones.
    If you want to see visually how it works plotting it out on a graph can help you understand it better. Then if you need to you can tweak it a little more to suit your vehicle and driving style.

Fuel Injected!
    BlueCats seems to create OK upshift curves, but I was not impressed with the downshift curves. After an upshift, you have to use a lot of throttle to get a downshift again.

I do use a similar curve shape, but I make mine even more aggressive ramping up to the maximum shift speed even quicker.

I didn't do much with the 3-4 or 4-3 curves in the example I posted, but they can be made the same shape as the other curves.

I first figured out that curve shape by driving with 1st and 2nd manually selected and noting the speed reached at 12.5%, 25%, 37% and 43% throttle. I dropped a little speed so it would actually shift and put the values into the curves. Once I fit the rest of the curve, that shape was pretty much what came out. I put the downshift curves just under the upshift curves. The closer they get, the quicker it will start kicking down when getting into the throttle.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    BlueCats seems to create OK upshift curves, but I was not impressed with the downshift curves. After an upshift, you have to use a lot of throttle to get a downshift again.

I do use a similar curve shape, but I make mine even more aggressive ramping up to the maximum shift speed even quicker.

I didn't do much with the 3-4 or 4-3 curves in the example I posted, but they can be made the same shape as the other curves.

I first figured out that curve shape by driving with 1st and 2nd manually selected and noting the speed reached at 12.5%, 25%, 37% and 43% throttle. I dropped a little speed so it would actually shift and put the values into the curves. Once I fit the rest of the curve, that shape was pretty much what came out. I put the downshift curves just under the upshift curves. The closer they get, the quicker it will start kicking down when getting into the throttle.
    That is the cool thing with Blucats. You can play with all the settings and make the upshifts and downshift more or less aggressive and space them closer or farther apart.

Fuel Injected!
    You can't change the overall shape of the curves. Upshifts are always S curves and downshifts are always exponential curves. So, there is never a good match between the upshift and corresponding downshift curves.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    You can't change the overall shape of the curves. Upshifts are always S curves and downshifts are always exponential curves. So, there is never a good match between the upshift and corresponding downshift curves.
    I disagree, you can definitely change the shape of the curves. There are adjustments for up and downshift, as well as for the throttle body size.