Thread: LSx Coil Pack Relocation

LSx Coil Pack Relocation

Would it be OK to relocate the LSx coil packs under an aftermarket intake manifold? See attached pictures.

Generally, the idea is run spark plug wires from under the intake manifold coil packs to the spark plugs exiting out the rear of the intake by the fire wall. It's sorta like how a rear mounted HEI distributor routes plug wires.

It's a cool concept, but will it work?

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Would it be OK to relocate the LSx coil packs under an aftermarket intake manifold? See attached pictures.

Generally, the idea is run spark plug wires from under the intake manifold coil packs to the spark plugs exiting out the rear of the intake by the fire wall. It's sorta like how a rear mounted HEI distributor routes plug wires.

It's a cool concept, but will it work?

dave w

I see no reason it would not "work". However I am not sure how durable the setup will be as hot as the coil packs will run in that location. The airflow will be very low in that location and in addition to the heat the coils themselves produce, they will also receive a good bit of radiant heating.

Electronically they will however work fine, IMO. Due to lack of clearance batween the valve covers and body of the Express van, the D585 coils on my L31 are on a plate that I fabricated to cover the rear portion of the L31 marine intake and distributor body of the L31. Coils connect to the spark plugs via an OEM set of L31 plug wires. Very similarly to how the DIS works on a newer 4.3 V6. In fact the 4.3 setup is what inspired me to do my L31 that way.

Fuel Injected!
    Should work fine. I can't see that location being any worse for heating or airflow than under the coil covers on a LS1/LS2/LS3 engine in a Corvette and the coils survive just fine in that location.

Its fine. We run over the top headers in many apps with the coils an inch or two away.

2.jpg1.jpg
    Last edited by Skinny Pedal; 04-16-2018 at 09:27 PM.