Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1621222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Uber-easy DIY USB ALDL Cable

Carb and Points!
    I am working on creating my own ALDL USB cable for my ZR-1. I bought a FTDI USB cable off Ebay and a 12 pin to 16 pin convertor cable. I cut that in half and am trying to hook up the FTDI USB cable to the 12 connector. Issue I see thus far is the 12 PIN connector cable only has 4 wires. They are BROWN, RED, ORANGE, YELLOW.Does anyone have any idea what wire is ground?

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by billymild View Post
    I am working on creating my own ALDL USB cable for my ZR-1. I bought a FTDI USB cable off Ebay and a 12 pin to 16 pin convertor cable. I cut that in half and am trying to hook up the FTDI USB cable to the 12 connector. Issue I see thus far is the 12 PIN connector cable only has 4 wires. They are BROWN, RED, ORANGE, YELLOW.Does anyone have any idea what wire is ground?
    you can check it with multitester right?

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by simon blazer View Post
    you can check it with multitester right?
    I found this picture which helped out a ton.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carb and Points!

no talk to ECU

Hi guys, I've made 4 type of ALDL obd1 cable :

1. with RS232 to TTL, Tx and Rx tied together on the TTL side, and connect into pin 9 (ALDL 16pin), cable found and functioning, passed cable test, but still cannot talk to ECU.

2. with TTL to USB adapter (FTDI chip), Tx and Rx tied together on the TTL side, and connect into pin 9 (ALDL 16pin), cable found and functioning, passed cable test, but still cannot talk to ECU.

3. Built 2 transistor interface, no cable found, no talk to ECU
    4, Built 1 transistor interface, no cable found, no talk to ECU

It's seems tha my ECU not listening to them, but it's talk happily to GM tech 1 scanner for sure.

What else I can do to make ECU talk to me? thanks for help.

arduino_rs232.jpg

Best,
    Simon
    Last edited by simon blazer; 03-29-2017 at 10:14 AM.

As a new user I read through all 26 pages and if i am understanding it correctly the majority of problems since about 2014 seems to be driver compatibility with the boards with bootleg chipsets? In considering either to build a cable or buy one, I noticed on seller on eBay said
    Utilizes a genuine FTDI chipset, FT231XS, not the FT232RL which is being counterfeited in Asia. The counterfeit chips have been rendered non-functional by the latest FTDI driver.
    So is a board based on the FT231X a better starting point in 2017 for a DIY ALDL than the Arduino FT232RL recommended at the start of this thread 5 years ago? They are not as easy to find, but I just wanted to get opinions if a cable project should now use a different chipset to prevent some of the headaches.

I know this will work..
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9716
    I had one with one of my arduinos and tried it on my 90 corvette.. tie both RX and TX together and it worked great with ALDLDroid..
    -=Jeff=-
    1990 Corvette ZR-1
    Black/Red Interior

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
    I know this will work..
    I had one with one of my arduinos and tried it on my 90 corvette.. tie both RX and TX together and it worked great with ALDLDroid..
    I have this board also. Works perfectly with 16197427 and TunerPro.
    1990 Chevrolet K2500, RCLB, Blueprint 383 TBI (16197427 ECM / 61 lb/hr / 16 psi FP), NV4500, NP241C, 4.10

I did find out that the cheap ebay ALDL to OBD2 adapter is only connected to pins A,M and K. The inside of the one piece connector was filled with an epoxy in manufacturing and that will make moving the third wire from K to E unlikely. Someone else mentioned that earlier so it was not a total surprise. It is OK for my 95 TBI but anything early would be out. Jeff & Chewy1576, thank you for the information on the sparkfun board.
    Last edited by donf; 05-09-2017 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
    I know this will work..
    Anyone have the schematic that ID's the diode size, resistor size and pin outs for this board - for a 94/95 LT1 "16 pin" connector?

Fuel Injected!
    If anyone's after an obd2 shell and a ttl-usb board to make an aldl cable I have some spares here will post worldwide

Fuel Injected!
    Sorry...to quick on the post. I see that another user recommended it.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9718
    Last edited by tony-baroni; 12-25-2017 at 02:01 AM.

I have not used that cable, but I have used their breakout PCB and that works.. So I would tend to think this one works just the same
    -=Jeff=-
    1990 Corvette ZR-1
    Black/Red Interior

Electronic Ignition!
    Hello fellas. Quick thanks to all of you who take the time to share your ideas, research, opinions, and results. Especially with remarkable patience. The Internet can be a very dismal place with most forums having rude and disrespectful bullies which ruin it for most. It's very refreshing to stumble upon this one and see that's there's more compassion and understanding than egos and machismo. Y'all get an 'ata boy !

Now onto my problem. I read through countless threads on here and gathered what I need to make my OBD1 to USB connection. I bought a FTDI232 that came with a connecting cable. Before I soldered the Rx to the Tx, and since I am only interested in receiving, I figured I'd see if it worked without it. It does. Sort of. My problem is that I can see the raw data rolling through but, I do not have any sensor data. I am using WinAldl. Should my Baud be set at 4800 instead of the default 2400 ? Also, on the main screen within WinAldl there's little box, top center, to the left of the Configuration button, it is flashing red and changing numerals. I looked at many different instructions, including the readme.txt that came with the program, yet I can't find any info about that little box and what the numerals mean. I did notice in his instructional screen shots that he has 20 in his, where mine was changing from 5,4,3, and 2 randomly. Any help would be much appreciated

1990 G20 5.7 LO5 Vin K
    ECM - 1227747 86ASDU

Electronic Ignition!
    WinAldl.JPG

Here's a screenshot of the program while it was hooked to my van.

Fuel Injected!
    Unless someone else can share their success story with WINALDL...here's the unfortunate details post #31...you can skip all the schematics and drop down to the update at the bottom of that post.
    Last edited by stew86MCSS396; 02-12-2018 at 09:01 AM.