Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber-easy DIY USB ALDL Cable

You mean the power LED? The power LED should be on when ever there is power connected to the board.

Have you manually installed the FTDI drivers? Windows won't find the drivers for FTDI devices.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

yes the power led. the receive and transmit leds flash twice then stay off. no i have not installed drivers and im none too computer savvy.... can i get a walk through? maybe?

Super Moderator
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

I follow those steps and i get to "updating driver" and my only options for drivers are "Communications port", im not given the 2.08.14 option as a driver

Fuel Injected!
    You will need to load a suitable driver for the usb chip. I used the file found in this link http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm.

Now with that said depending on the date of manufacture of your chip and your operating system version you may have to manually set up the device on your computer. Also in TunerPro you will have to initialize the device by selecting the appropriate com port.
    open tunerpro, click tools tab, click preferences. Click the Data Acq./Emulation tab, under the Data Acquisition & Logging info it should see "use plug-in", Tunerpro data..., click on Configure Plug-in Component. Click test for valid interface....

At this point when u click on "test..." It will respond with either cable not found or not functioning. You must have the usb adapter connected to the laptop and the vehicle ALDL port for any of this to work.

I have found even though the cable test did not find my cable, it will still connect to the ecm and allow data. This is why you need everything hooked up so that you can test the "connect" function of the acquisition mode. As long as the "DA:Connected" indicator is blue and not yellow you should be transferring data.

Hope this helps

Buddrow
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

Followed this setup and I have a few questions,
    1st- when i setup the tunerpro side of the aldl connection, im only given the option for comm 4, is this normal? Can i only use comm 4 and therefore setup the cable in devise manager to be comm 4? But when i verify it in the acquisition setup, it is not found or connected?
    2nd- is it a big deal or not that tunerpro, when choosing acquire data, that it is "not connected" in tunerpro?

Ok just tried again right after plugging in the cable to the computer and it came up good when doing the test for valid interface, but then tried again after a couple miniutes and back to failed...?
    Last edited by rokcrawlin85; 01-08-2014 at 06:58 AM.

Super Moderator
    when in TP, if com4 is the only option showing up when the cable is plugged in(and driver setup), then that should be the COM port being created by the cable.

when doing the tests, is this with the cable plugged into the computer, but not the vehicle? because the test SHOULD fail while connected to a vehicle, but should pass when disconnected from the vehicle. it isn't always that cut and dry though, cables that fail that test can work flawlessly during actual scanning.

The failed test is with the cable connected to the PC but NOT connected the the vehicle. The short time it clears the test on initial plug in is very odd to me.... could this be a driver issue? I had a hella time getting the drivers installed, ended up having to use the ftdi site for drivers which may cause issues from what I've been reading

Super Moderator
    possibility on driver issues. i would be running the versions specified in Mark's thread before anything else.

Just thought i'd update with what ended up happening, removed all the previous drivers installed by the fdci site. Loaded the driver provided through the link here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%202.08.14.zip (for some reason my caveman era laptop didn't like to load it before) now my cable seems to be working and connecting to TP just fine. Next step is to see if it will actually receive info from the ECM when i finally get time to hook up to that. Thank you all for your help

On a side note: have you had issues with the usb cable provided with the chip converter and the converter making proper connection? I noticed when i would play with the plug the devise manager would read "usb serial converter" then switch to "unknown devise" by just moving the plug (at the converter) then switch back again???
    Last edited by rokcrawlin85; 01-09-2014 at 09:43 PM.

Super Moderator
    mine all seem fine, but i tend to touch up the solder joints when i'm dealing with the RxD/TxD and ground connections if they look in any way questionable.

Fuel Injected!
    Hello all you Guru's. I just finished swapping a TBI onto my engine and it will need some tuning. I am going to start with data logging. I am running a '7747 ECU. I want to build the cable, but I am seeing conflicting statements in the thread.

I need to buy the "Arduino FT232RL USB to Serial Module USB to TTL level + USB Cable + dupont #248".

My ECU is a 160 baud unit. To interface with it do I need to connect the tx/rx ports or not? I have seen both talked about in this thread. Do I need the 10k resister or not? Again both opinions are in this thread.

Thanks,

Steve

Super Moderator
    with a 160 baud only unit, Tx isn't used, so you'll only need Rx connected.

with a 7747, i don't think the 10K is necessary, but i'm not 100% on that.

Fuel Injected!
    Thank you for the reply. Would linking the Tx to Rx cause issues with this ECU? So if I want to be able to connect to other ECU's I would need both joined. Would it be better to do this up front?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    with a 160 baud only unit, Tx isn't used, so you'll only need Rx connected.

with a 7747, i don't think the 10K is necessary, but i'm not 100% on that.

Super Moderator
    connecting them is no problem for the ECM. it takes 3 seconds with a soldering iron, so i would recommend it.