Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber-easy DIY USB ALDL Cable

Fuel Injected!
    Im not sure what happened either just glad it works lol
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

Fuel Injected!
    Joined the forum just so I could say thank you Robert.
    Built my ALDL OBD1 Cable for a grand total of $5.14.
    Used the FT232RL USB To Serial Adapter you said you have been using recently
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/200962160734
    along with a USB Male to Mini USB 5 Pin Adapter
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/221320239578
    Just used some old speaker wire with the ends tinned to make the connection to the ALDL port, nothing fancy.
    Plugged the FT232RL into the laptop and Windows XP found the drivers and new hardware automatically,no problems. After a fair amount of reading about tunerpro, I am up and Data-logging my 94 Chevy PU.
    Thank you very much for the information, always wanted to datalog, but had a hard time forking out the $ for a cable.
    Let the fun begin.
    Last edited by Woods; 12-17-2013 at 03:44 AM.

Super Moderator
    i've done the soldered end route a few times before.... it works, but when you can, spend the ~$9 or so on a 12-pin end and life gets so much easier. then, depending on how rough you are on the wires, i would enclose the soldered connections and for less than $20, you have a pretty solid product on your hands. the time to get it all looking (relatively) nice and having tight connections is all i'm really charging for when i build them.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Your advice is well taken
    For me Robert, I am happy right now. Been thinking of updating to an EBL Flash, or buying a Moates APU1' AutoProm Package. Both would have communication cables included.
    Your info has let me build an inexpensive cable to get a picture of how my engine is performing now, and,or trouble shoot issues.
    Many thanks to you.

update: made a nice little enclosure for the FT232RL out of a plastic box that blade fuses come in.
    Last edited by Woods; 12-19-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Just wanted to check in before i get too excited about this. I know you guys have to be tired of answering a few of us who just can't grasp everything. Anyway, sorry ahead of time, Im using the 8747 ecm and the Heavy Duty adx file provided through this site, I have no idea if it will truly work since my aldlcable.com cable stopped working (just like Robert's) before i got a chance to test out TP. Im thinking to make a nice setup use the cable side of the "bad" aldl cable and just chop off and trash the USB port section and solder the needed wires to the correct pins on this....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-FT23...dfc861&afsrc=1. Then hard mounting the adapter in the vehicle with easy access to the USB square plug and call it good.... If i've followed these 14 pages correctly, short the rxd & txd pins together then connect to the corresponding pin wire of my plug (pin A on aldl plug) then grounding pin of the adapter to pin B (aldl plug) wire? That is all correct? The baud rate and resistor talk are where i start to get lost and confused.....

Super Moderator
    sounds like you have the right idea. if you're hard-mounting it, the 12 pin ALDL end won't need to be used, but that is your call.

i'm not familiar with the 8747, is it one that needs the 10K resistor to start the datastream? if so, then account for that in your design and you'll be set.

From everything i've been able to find on here, is that it is nearly identical to the 7747. Just meant for the HD vehicles like 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I think i can even get away with running the 7747 adx file for data logging. Thank you for the response and answering another one that is slowly gasping this stuff!

Super Moderator
    i figured it would be a C3.

i don't THINK the 10K is needed, but perhaps do a trial run before cutting stuff up?

i noticed in your first post: you'll want to connect the RxD/TxD to pin E. ground should go to pin A. if the 10K is needed, it will go between pin B and pin A on the connector, with some type of switch to turn it on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by rokcrawlin85 View Post
    From everything i've been able to find on here, is that it is nearly identical to the 7747. Just meant for the HD vehicles like 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I think i can even get away with running the 7747 adx file for data logging. Thank you for the response and answering another one that is slowly gasping this stuff!
    $4f

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-4F

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

which would be as simple as adding a toggle switch with the resistor in line between A & B wires....

On a side note.... thank you guys so much for all the knowledge and incite on this site!!! I've learned so much from just this site alone. Nice to find a site where people are wanting to help out and not just stick to themselves and not help us "under educated people". So thank you all!!!

Mark, that is the link i used to find the HD adx file for data logging. Thanks for putting that all together in one easy to find spot. now to just order everything and get it put together and see if it works as described.
    Last edited by rokcrawlin85; 12-20-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Ok so I have a question regarding setting this up to be able to read both 160 and 8192 baud rates. Is it possible or am I only able to set it up one way or another? I need the 180 baud rate but thought it would be nice to allow for both rates
    Last edited by rokcrawlin85; 01-03-2014 at 07:00 AM.

Super Moderator
    the same hardware works with both 160 and 8192 baud data rates. you'll just need to connect the USb converter's RxD and TxD pins to both the E and M pins.

That's what I was hoping for. I was just in doubt if I hooked both wires up to the rxd and txd pins if they both could attempt to use the same signal at the same time? Not sure if that's even possible

Super Moderator
    perfectly acceptable situation. most vehicles only had E or M. the vehicles that can communicate at both(86-89 TPI V8s and not much else) have both pins present, so technically, either could be used, but it won't matter.

ok, so i have hooked up the cable as we've discussed, and when i connect it to the laptop it pops up with the typical hardware found blah blah blah, then after about 10 seconds it says the devise is not recognized by windows....
    when its first connected the rx and tx leds flash and then the led in the center stays lit while the rx and tx leds stay off.... have i done something wrong here?