Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber-easy DIY USB ALDL Cable

Fuel Injected!
    I am at this point and when I attempt to connect, the icon at the bottom of TunerPro that says "connecting" lights up but never connects.. Am I doing something wrong now?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-FT232RL-USB-to-Serial-Module-USB-to-TTL-level-USB-Cable-dupont-248-/260917151841?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbfdf c861

let me know if that link doesn't work, but it's what i bought a few weeks ago...

anyways, this convenient little piece of hardware allows you to hook up to a 8192 baud ECM with 2 wires.... no resistors, no ICs, no diodes.... just two simple connections.

and when it comes to homebrew hardware, simple is always good. just went and tested it on the MC, works great. also passes the tunerpro "test for cable" when unplugged from the car, not something i'm used to with my current cable.

so anyways, before this i was using Parallax 28030 units, which are serial->USB adapters, so i converted the 8192 stuff(basically TTL?) to serial using a MAX232 circuit, then converted serial to USB using the Parallax 28030. ever built a MAX232 on proto boards? they're a pain. then soldering into the solder cups of a DB9 connector? also a pain.

now, assuming you can get ahold of a male ALDL connector or just use the bare pins for whatever reason, you'll have 2 or 4 quick solder joints to make and then you're done. put it in a radioshack project box for like $3(since this came with it's own USB cable) and you're out the door with a USB ALDL cable for just under $12. attach a male OBD1 connector (for $15 plus shipping from ALDLcable.com, or i potentially have an overseas supplier that has a cable that can be used after some tweaking for a little under $9 shipped) and you have a fully functional and professional enough looking cable.

sell it, use it, abuse it, whatever. :)

anyways, tested at 8192 and it works flawlessly. since it uses the FT232RL, it should be a quality, long-lasting unit. i'd like to do a 160 baud test, but i don't want to try and dig out the 85 IROC ECM.

Bought 3 of these. Connected RXD to TXD together and then Connected them to pin M on ALDL for the 8192 Baud. And GND on the converter to GND on the ALDL.

Configured Com port settings for each, and the only thing that happens on attempting to start a scan is the RXD and TXD flash red repeatedly while TunerPro says "DA: Connecting......."

Without reading every post in 19 pages did we decide this is hit or miss, or doesn't work at all or?

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by CDeeZ View Post
    Bought 3 of these. Connected RXD to TXD together and then Connected them to pin M on ALDL for the 8192 Baud. And GND on the converter to GND on the ALDL.

Configured Com port settings for each, and the only thing that happens on attempting to start a scan is the RXD and TXD flash red repeatedly while TunerPro says "DA: Connecting......."

Without reading every post in 19 pages did we decide this is hit or miss, or doesn't work at all or?
    I have the exact same issue, thought it may have been my car though (98 Holden VT Commodore)...

Anyone have a definitive answer to this?

Fuel Injected!
    did you turn on cable echo in the adx or in preferences of tunerpro as they cable will pickup whats sent when you send it

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by delcowizzid View Post
    did you turn on cable echo in the adx or in preferences of tunerpro as they cable will pickup whats sent when you send it
    Yep, sure did.
    Also tried EFILive and "OSE Enhanced Flash Tool" but both complained about not finding a heartbeat.
    I've seen chatter in EFILive, but it wouldn't sync because it couldn't get a heartbeat

Delcowizzid, can you elaborate on cable echo?

I've got a buddy with a computer science degree who is going to take a look at this.

It sounded too good and easy to be true, looks like it might be :/

Thing passes cable found and functional test in TunerPro but still won't connect to datastream.

Finally got it working. Guess my alligator clip ended test leads were corroded/broken and causing a no connection situation.

Stripped a little more wire and wound the wires diresctly to each other and it connects and successfully scans. Lots of intermittent data connection errors compared to the Moates cable, looks like a success but with that issue to work out.

For those of you who haven't got this to work, it is a possibility that the breakout board is junk right outta the box. I ordered 3of these from the eBay link on post 1. ONLY ONE of my THREE boards is good so far. Streams data as good as the moates cable. The other two boards connect, but data flow is very intermittent because of the data errors, over and over. The only thing i can figure is the other two boards are defective after comparing and testing all 3 boards side by side. I'm going to contact the eBay seller and see what they plan to do about the two faulty boards i received. It is interesting how the Chinese get away with making so much trash. The 66% failure rate on these boards i have currently witnessed is not impressive.

Electronic Ignition!
    Hi Everyone!
    Thanks for all this wonderful information. I've got a '95 Corsica with a transplanted V6 that I plan to plug into shortly to figure out what it's doing.
    19 pages in, and I just need to make sure, as this does sound stupidly simple,
    Solder TX & RX together, plug into Pin M on the ALDL plug
    Plug GND into the Pin A on the ALDL plug
    fire up Tuner Pro, and get info from the engine?
    Anyone rigged one of these cables to a Raspberry PI to have it serve as a secondary cluster? My Corsica has Temp, Speed, and Fuel Level on the cluster. Would love a small gauge w\ other stats if that's possible.
    Thanks!

You got it right man.

I ended up getting with a buddy and we hooked up to his Raspberry PI and we couldn't get those two modules to do a damn thing. They were DOA........ In the process of negotiating a resolution about the two junk modules with the Ebay seller Polida right now.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by CDeeZ View Post
    You got it right man.

I ended up getting with a buddy and we hooked up to his Raspberry PI and we couldn't get those two modules to do a damn thing. They were DOA........ In the process of negotiating a resolution about the two junk modules with the Ebay seller Polida right now.
    Awesome. Might order a pile of them, because TTL is also a great way to talk w\ JTAG ports on some other old equipment I have that I've busted firmware wise. Would be nice to see what it's doing and be able to repair them that way.

Without ordering one of those 12-pin to 16-pin cables off eBay for $5, it should be as simple as jabbing a wire into the socket that is tinned up so it'll make contact, correct? Possibly putting a blade into the back end so I can use an official diagnostics PC if I need to?

Electronic Ignition!
    So, one of the three that I ordered arrived today. I tried stuffing tinned wires into the M & A slots on the jack, but didn't get anywhere. I then tried stripping a little of the ground & data wires on the back side of the plug and connecting some pigtails, but I can't find my multimeter to see if it worked, and my outlet in the garage is busted, so I can't solder it in. That's probably the biggest problem. Tuner pro sees it, I did all the hardware pre-checks and I can talk to it via a serial terminal, and it does pass the cable test in Tuner Pro RT, but no further.

Can someone provide me with the correct steps for getting TP talking w\ the ECU? Do I start the scan first? Do I start the engine, wait and then start getting data? Not sure what I've done wrong so far.
    Thanks!

Fuel Injected!
    When you say TunerPro "sees it" what do you mean? Just because TP says there is a cable found doesnt mean it is communicating(obviously). What ecm/pcm are you using? If you don't have the correct ADX file you will never get data, or at best it will be skewed.

To start viewing data, you must...

Make sure sure youre computer recognizes(in device manager in Windows) the USB/Serial adapter you are using.
    Connect interafce cable to ALDL connector. Make sure all connections are correct.
    Open TPRT, Load the appropriate ADX file.
    Open Tools/Preferences/Data Acq/Emulation.
    Click "Configure Plug-In Component" and select the appropriate COM port for your cable.
    At this point you should be able to click on the "Acquire Data/Connect/Disconnect" button.
    If the Yellow "DA:Not Connected" indicator turns to "Blue" and says DA:Connected, open the dashboard and you should be viewing data. If not, rinse and repeat.

The engine doesn't have to be running but the ignition should be switched on to retrieve data.

Buddrow
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

Carb and Points!
    I just finished this cable. I have a dash Guage setup on tunerpro. I can get it to communicate fine. O2 sensors show a equal value. The tps sensor fluctuates as it should. Now when start the car up everything goes nuts no gauge value is constant or accurate. Has anyone has this problem .could it be a Bad ground? I used a ground from under the dash. Thanks guys.
    94(I'm told) lt1 from caddy into a 79 camro