Thread: Uber-easy DIY USB ALDL Cable

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pins 4 & 5 are ground. Pin 9 is data. No 10K resistor is needed. Yes pin 16 is 12v if needed.

You will only be able to scan your VY Commodore. Use TunerPro RT and the .adx definition for the VY Commodore.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by phonedawgz View Post
    Pins 4 & 5 are ground. Pin 9 is data. No 10K resistor is needed. Yes pin 16 is 12v if needed.

You will only be able to scan your VY Commodore. Use TunerPro RT and the .adx definition for the VY Commodore.
    The cable wires are 5v rx tx ground rt ct so i join grond to ether 4 or 5 pin do i put both rx and tx pin 9 or am i way off

Super Moderator
    you have it.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Carb and Points!

That one is USB to RS485. You need USB to Serial 232 TTL such as this from the same seller. You also want an FTDI chipset in case you need to use it on 8192 baud. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1Pcs-6Pin...item4653b56a1f

Hope this helps,
    Brian

Carb and Points!
    [QUOTE=sturgillbd;61931]That one is USB to RS485. You need USB to Serial 232 TTL such as this from the same seller. You also want an FTDI chipset in c
    Last edited by old8s; 10-30-2016 at 10:35 AM.

Basically what you do is tie the RX and TX pins together and that is the serial data wire. The other pin you use is ground. Read some of the posts at the beginning of this thread. They describe what needs to be done. RS485 is a different form of serial communications. IIRC, it uses differential wiring for noise immunity. I know it seems strange to connect RX and TX together but the ecm only responds when data is requested on the 8192 baud systems. Tunerpro requests data and the ecm them responds.