Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber-easy DIY USB ALDL Cable

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    that one LOOKS like it could work. there does seem to be Rx and Tx pins that could be used for the ALDL end, but i'm not 100% certain of it. you would need to tie them together before the ALDL M pin obviously, then assuming there is a ground pin, and that's all the connections necessary.

i don't know why everybody doesn't just buy them from the link i posted, unless you want a potentially more stable supplier?
    Sparkfun is about 45 minutes from my house. They allow online ordering and onsite pickup. :D

For $20, I think it's worth a shot. Thank you!

EDIT: Part is on order. For the minimal shipping charge, I'll just let USPS deliver it! It would cost me twice as much to DRIVE down there! LOL!

I'll update what happens when it arrives. Hopefully I won't let the smoke out!
    Last edited by FSJ Guy; 04-06-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Update
    Familiar with 1227747 and 16197427 PCMs

Here is the one i bought from amazon.i have not been able to try it with an ECM yet but it talks to my garmin gps.

http://www.amazon.com/UART-Module-Se...=pd_ys_iyr_img

Super Moderator
    the pins necessary are present, however it's a CP2102 IC, which isn't quite as capable as the FT232RL, so it MAY work, but i wouldn't gaurantee it.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

ok so this can be used to make a cable that will datalog for cheaper than the 59 bucks for a cable. i am not an electrical genious here. can someone show me how to make it aor what all i need to make it work. a diagram of sort.

Super Moderator
    with the one i posted:

connect the RXD and TXD pins together(solder would be my method), then connect that circuit to the ALDL pin M, then connect the ground pin on the converter to the ground pin in the ALDL connector (pin A).

it's that simple.

i will get a buddy of mine to look at this tomorrow. he is all about electric. he is trying to set up a miata with a/c drive motors right now. thanks buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    with the one i posted:

connect the RXD and TXD pins together(solder would be my method), then connect that circuit to the ALDL pin M, then connect the ground pin on the converter to the ground pin in the ALDL connector (pin A).

it's that simple.
    To easy! Does it work? Still to easy... and to cheap...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    i've been using it to troubleshoot my testbench. i seem to get quite a few packet errors on the bench if i don't have my 4K PPM signal hooked up to anything though. if i either connect it to a spare cluster or directly to ground, problem goes away ~99%.

however, when i had it hooked up in-car, i had 0 packet errors, so it must be something about the bench causing it.

USB to ALDL 160 Baud Pin E or 8192 Baud Pin M cable for $55 shipped -

http://www.reddevilriver.com/aldl.html

I
    t does use the FT232RL chip

By the time you do $10-15 for the FT232RT USB, 20.90 for the OBD1 ALDL cable shipped, $5 for the box you are at $40. The pre-built cable is $50 + $5 shipping.

Super Moderator
    i have a cheaper source for the male connector... ~$9 shipped.

combine that with the $9 for the converter and the $3 it costs for a box, that's just over $20 complete.

Plus, you really don't NEED a cable connector. You can wire it directly to the harness or use flat connectors to connect to the ALDL port. No fancy connector required.

I still haven't had time to test the one I bought from sparkfun yet.

Super Moderator
    at this price, you can honestly install them permanantly and not feel too bad about it. $12 for a USB cable instead of an ALDL port.

Fuel Injected!
    Where's the pic and write up ?

Super Moderator
    on my gigantic "to do" list.

Quote Originally Posted by FSJ Guy View Post
    This one

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8165

looks like it's designed to be plugged into the other end of a USB cable. It has the TX and RX pins that you speak of. Other than that, I have no clue what I'm talking about. :D

I'd definitely be interested in being able to semi-permanently mount a USB connector under my dash to plug in an ALDL cable.
    SUCCESS!!! I tied the Transmit and Receive (Tx and Rx) lines together and connected them to the data line and connected the grounds together. Plugged it all in and it works!!!! :D

Since I already had an A -> B USB cable lying around, it only cost $21 for a virtually turnkey ALDL cable.

EDIT: I have tried this adapter while actually having the engine RUNNING and it runs for anywhere from 4 seconds to 4 minutes and then fails. The laptop shows the request being sent with no reply from the ECM. For some reason it doesn't work with the engine running. <shrug>
    Last edited by FSJ Guy; 06-27-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: UPDATE on "succes" of adapter