Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uber-easy DIY USB ALDL Cable

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator

Uber-easy DIY USB ALDL Cable

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-FT232RL-USB-to-Serial-Module-USB-to-TTL-level-USB-Cable-dupont-248-/260917151841?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbfdf c861

let me know if that link doesn't work, but it's what i bought a few weeks ago...

anyways, this convenient little piece of hardware allows you to hook up to a 8192 baud ECM with 2 wires.... no resistors, no ICs, no diodes.... just two simple connections.

and when it comes to homebrew hardware, simple is always good. just went and tested it on the MC, works great. also passes the tunerpro "test for cable" when unplugged from the car, not something i'm used to with my current cable.

so anyways, before this i was using Parallax 28030 units, which are serial->USB adapters, so i converted the 8192 stuff(basically TTL?) to serial using a MAX232 circuit, then converted serial to USB using the Parallax 28030. ever built a MAX232 on proto boards? they're a pain. then soldering into the solder cups of a DB9 connector? also a pain.

now, assuming you can get ahold of a male ALDL connector or just use the bare pins for whatever reason, you'll have 2 or 4 quick solder joints to make and then you're done. put it in a radioshack project box for like $3(since this came with it's own USB cable) and you're out the door with a USB ALDL cable for just under $12. attach a male OBD1 connector (for $15 plus shipping from ALDLcable.com, or i potentially have an overseas supplier that has a cable that can be used after some tweaking for a little under $9 shipped) and you have a fully functional and professional enough looking cable.

sell it, use it, abuse it, whatever. :)

anyways, tested at 8192 and it works flawlessly. since it uses the FT232RL, it should be a quality, long-lasting unit. i'd like to do a 160 baud test, but i don't want to try and dig out the 85 IROC ECM.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Thanks Robert! Saw you looking into this awhile back. Got to be the cheapest way to make a cable on the net!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    cheapest USB.... probably. and by a long shot as well. parallax 28030s are something like $18 shipped IIRC. then add in the MAX232...

i'm more stoked about the fact that it's dead-simple to put together. my previous cables all went through the extravagence of a full MAX232, which was a total pain to put together and took forever compared to this.

How do you set the baud rate?

Robert

Super Moderator
    use Tunerpro. when making an ADS (or more recently, the ADX), you can simply choose to use an 8192 baud rate for a connection.

IIRC, 8192 is the default rate in tunerpro anyways, so it won't really even be apparent unless you need to change it.

Familiar with 1227747 and 16197427 PCMs

Super Moderator
    while some of them look similar, it doesn't look like the pins that are needed are available?

if the RXD, TXD and ground pins are able to be connected to and it is a TTL to USB(or maybe UART to USB?) converter, then it should work.

note: SHOULD. i researched the one i bought a bit before i pulled the trigger.

Fuel Injected!
    what are the pin connections for this aldl board from ebay above link.? I got mine in with for jumper wires to connect to but which ones go where??

Fuel Injected!
    Correct me if i am wrong but one wire should be connected to ground on the board and one wire connected to the tx and rx pins. You connect the ground wire to terminal (A) on the aldl connector from the ecu. If you have a 160 baud unit you connect the tx/rx to pin (E) on the aldl terminal and if you have a 8192 baud unit you connect the tx/rx wire to pin (M) on the aldl terminal.

Fuel Injected!
    I tried my cable today but no luck. The rx light blinks when i hit connect but nothing else happens. I also tried win aldl which didnt work.

Fuel Injected!
    I think i am going to try the original board seeing as people seem to have good luck with that one.

Update: Well i just bought the original adapter from page one and it looks like shipping is going to take a while. I hope it works. I returned my other adapter back to ebay so i can recoup that money.

2nd update: The adapter is already in jamaica, queens, ny. It should be to my house in a day or two.
    Last edited by joegreen; 07-21-2014 at 12:58 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok so my adapter came today. At first i hooked it up to my laptop and desktop and they both said device not recognised. I thought here we go again. Anyway i decided to try the usb cable that came with my burn 1. Plugged everything in and bam device recognised. Using the latest ftdi driver it passes the cable test in tuner pro and it passes the aldl test program. Now to finally get cracking on my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-FT232RL-USB-to-Serial-Module-USB-to-TTL-level-USB-Cable-dupont-248-/260917151841?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbfdf c861

let me know if that link doesn't work, but it's what i bought a few weeks ago...

anyways, this convenient little piece of hardware allows you to hook up to a 8192 baud ECM with 2 wires.... no resistors, no ICs, no diodes.... just two simple connections.

and when it comes to homebrew hardware, simple is always good. just went and tested it on the MC, works great. also passes the tunerpro "test for cable" when unplugged from the car, not something i'm used to with my current cable.

so anyways, before this i was using Parallax 28030 units, which are serial->USB adapters, so i converted the 8192 stuff(basically TTL?) to serial using a MAX232 circuit, then converted serial to USB using the Parallax 28030. ever built a MAX232 on proto boards? they're a pain. then soldering into the solder cups of a DB9 connector? also a pain.

now, assuming you can get ahold of a male ALDL connector or just use the bare pins for whatever reason, you'll have 2 or 4 quick solder joints to make and then you're done. put it in a radioshack project box for like $3(since this came with it's own USB cable) and you're out the door with a USB ALDL cable for just under $12. attach a male OBD1 connector (for $15 plus shipping from ALDLcable.com, or i potentially have an overseas supplier that has a cable that can be used after some tweaking for a little under $9 shipped) and you have a fully functional and professional enough looking cable.

sell it, use it, abuse it, whatever. :)

anyways, tested at 8192 and it works flawlessly. since it uses the FT232RL, it should be a quality, long-lasting unit. i'd like to do a 160 baud test, but i don't want to try and dig out the 85 IROC ECM.

Bought 3 of these. Connected RXD to TXD together and then Connected them to pin M on ALDL for the 8192 Baud. And GND on the converter to GND on the ALDL.

Configured Com port settings for each, and the only thing that happens on attempting to start a scan is the RXD and TXD flash red repeatedly while TunerPro says "DA: Connecting......."

Without reading every post in 19 pages did we decide this is hit or miss, or doesn't work at all or?

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by CDeeZ View Post
    Bought 3 of these. Connected RXD to TXD together and then Connected them to pin M on ALDL for the 8192 Baud. And GND on the converter to GND on the ALDL.

Configured Com port settings for each, and the only thing that happens on attempting to start a scan is the RXD and TXD flash red repeatedly while TunerPro says "DA: Connecting......."

Without reading every post in 19 pages did we decide this is hit or miss, or doesn't work at all or?
    I have the exact same issue, thought it may have been my car though (98 Holden VT Commodore)...

Anyone have a definitive answer to this?

Fuel Injected!
    did you turn on cable echo in the adx or in preferences of tunerpro as they cable will pickup whats sent when you send it