I'll lead with: I'm writing this based on a 16197427 ECM - TunerProRT - using both Win7 and Win10 - If you want the short version skip down to "What ended up working"

I recently had some trouble getting the "Uber-easy DIY USB ALDL Cable" to work and wanted to share a few things I learned in case anyone else has this problem.

When looking for a USB cable, I learned this later, that there are 3.3 Volt and 5 Volt versions of the FTDI based USB, voltage is regarding the TTL signal (transistor-transistor-logic). I found a lot of good info about USB and Serial Communication searching the SparkFun website, this is just one about TTL levels if you're interested - https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...l-logic-levels

The first USB I had was a 3.3V version and it had the same troubles a few people have described. It would sometimes connect (Blue) and then throw a bunch of error codes (Red occasionally flashing blue), most often it just wouldn't connect or do anything (but TunerPro would say that it was found and functional). But it would sometimes connect, so I was thinking it was something with software. I tried different FTDI drivers, different COM settings, Win7, Win10, two different laptops, somebody mentioned connecting only after the car is running so tried that, tried every USB port on two different laptops, and lastly, every different combo of the above along with plugging USB in before or after starting TunerPro, truck running or not, and restarting laptop numerous times.

Anyways, If I'm understanding properly, in theory, a 3.3V version should work as it's high signal would be above the 2.7V level needed to register as high, but I could just never get it to work. I got a 5V cable and now I can connect with the truck running or not, before or after I start TunerPro, even opening the laptop after hibernation with TunerPro on from the day before (showing the Red Error because the day before I just shut the laptop and unplugged the cable, but I just click disconnect and then connect and Happy Day, solid Blue).

A note on Win10 and drivers – Win10 saves drivers - I first installed the newest FTDI Drivers from their website. When the newest drivers didn't work, I uninstalled them and installed the older ones. When I would restart the computer Win10 would automatically revert to the first set of drivers that I had just uninstalled. I tried FT Clean to erase the drivers but Win10 would still automatically revert. Finally, after Googling a few fixes to permanently erase the first set of drivers I installed which didn't work, the only way I could fix it was to do a fresh install of Win10, then install the older set of drivers, and it's been fine since. (Win7 I didn't have the problem of it reverting, but it also wouldn't work with the newer drivers, so I did have to erase those and install the older ones to get everything to work).

What ended up working:

USB - DSD TECH SH-U09F - It has a jumper to choose the voltage and comes with USB and Dupont cables, set on the 5V jumper it has worked perfectly.

Driver - FTDI 04/10/2012 Ver. 2.8.24.0 from Moates site - http://support.moates.net/troublesho...-installation/ - Worked with Win7 and Win10 - The newest FTDI drivers didn’t work for me on either Win7 or Win10

Note 1 - Open Device Manager - USB serial port - Properties - Advanced - Set Latency Timer to 1msec
Note 2 - Make sure the COM port # in Device manager matches the setting in TunerPro
Note 3 – I used v250 XDF and v250 ADX downloaded from the TunerPro website for the $0D 16197427 ECM

I posted a couple pics in my profile, I can't seem to insert a pic here