Thread: Winter VS. Summer AE ( acceleration enrichment ) map tps

Winter VS. Summer AE ( acceleration enrichment ) map tps

I was wondering about if AE should be adjusted for cold weather and then raised up for when summer rolls around?

I'll start here. c1500 Silverado 5.7 very light short cab step side. with two handfuls of mods on motor. and a tunerpro chip burn. frame of restoration so wires and sensors, grounds, vacuum. everything looks good on tunerpro dash. my BLMs are from 126-129(laughably awesome) on every day I've checked so far.

recently I get a hesitation on light takeoff. The butt dyno says its an AE problem.
    I was finalizing my chip after a few weeks of it trial running great.
    It was cold and very humid with high pressure when I tuned it.(35-45 degrees somehow very consistently for weeks!!!)
    now on two days that where above 60 with low pressure and low humidity I have what feels like a lean AE hesitation.
    I know those where not ideal tuning conditions but for weeks!!! ..I was tired of waiting. and can always retune.
    I raised the AE a little and it helped so ill continue my efforts tomorrow.

Now, in those semi-drastic changes, could it effect my tuning enough to cause a lean hesitation?

A Wide Band O2 Sensor (WBO2) is an excellent tool for measuring what the AE air fuel ratios (AFR's) are. Typically the BLM's are locked at 128 when AE is active, which doesn't really help with tuning AE. What are your AFR's when AE is active? Typically, butt dyno's are awesome tools too, but not as accurate as AFR's.

dave w

yes i have an WB afr guage hooked up. no changes were made besides changing to a new icm when hesitation began. could the icm fail in a way where it works most of the time but sometimes changes my low rpm spark. just turned spark advance back on and spark doesnt look like when it used to.

and the question was could this weather change mess up my AE??
    my AE was fantastic as i stated above i was Finished with chip, everything was great, AE on the AFR was gut. but now in the warmer weather(or the icm change) is causing problems.
    also vacuum is very good. like 22inhg

and again this is a question on AE tuning versus weather. so does anyone know if weather changes and or pressure changes could mess up my AE tuning?
    if its the icm it will be tested today and changed.

I've tuned several TBI's systems, including some remotely tuned using the internet to exchange .bin and .xdl files. I've tuned TBI system that are operating in Las Vegas NV, Anchorage AK and the high Continental Divide elevations of Wyoming. Based on the feedback I've received from my remote tuning ventures, the weather should not affect AE. I've made several trips from Western Washington to Central Washington (that have me cross over the Cascades) experiencing temperatures vary as much as 50 degrees without affecting AE.

I can't say, nope weather won't affect AE. I can say, it doesn't seem likely weather will affect AE, based on my remote TBI system tuning and personal TBI system tuning experiences.

Maybe the CTS is reading faulty?

dave w

Thanks for that fantastic answer. its difficult to search thru all the threads for answers. I've just been wondering about weather effects for a while. AE seems like something that should be good all if not most of the year.

I have swapped out the old BWD(borgwarner) ICM for my 30yr old GM ICM. and its running back to norm. Tunerpro with spark advance hack was showing spark was higher than I had programmed in the low rpm high map cells by like 10 degrees! didn't show that before. think it was causing a knock that made the spark retard and hesitate or something? That makes 3 bad BWD ICM's in three weeks...kept using them because oreilly's would take them back. the last one did test good. but is just off somehow. so..., if its not ACdelco or GM(are they the same)for a sensor I Don't want it.

Are there any really good AE threads I can check out that I may have missed? that was a difficult thing to tune on my dead vortec, but this mild engine is nice and easy. But I will be doing another powerhouse next winter. It's always good to knowledge up.

Administrator
    TBI engines originally used a thermostat and a heat stove to help ensure incoming air was at least 90 degrees F. This reduced the complexity involved with AE tuning. When the vehicle is greatly modified, for example when a TBI is placed on an open plenum, non-heated intake and topped with an open-element air filter, I have seen AE related issues. Specifically, vehicles tuned on a dyno when warm have been returned for "retuning" due to hesitation or backfiring as the ambient temperature drops approaching winter. With stock $42 there is really no cure imo without building some type of intake air heating back into these engines. $0D and its close cousins may be less susceptible to this problem as later code is generally better at handling transient conditions.

I have often chosen 20+ year old stock ICM's over made in China parts store replacements. I do not know of any brand today which can be trusted in the way I used to trust OE / Delco parts.

I heard that. my old dual plane high rise intake wasnt fun in the winter due to icing. Paired with the vortec heads and being my first tune(4 yrs ago) it was a PITA
    I have considered a new comp pin swap setup.(forgot what comp atm) it would be nice to have a seperate table for on and off idle and or an air intake temp sensor somehow. As its a frame off resto i could even swap harnesses.
    Another good reply bringing up the open element non-heated intake. since my kikass looking high-rise. man it looked cool. but my next one will have to be one of those pricey edelbrock tbi heated intakes. or the like.

now all my sensors are back to OE. Genuine GM parts.