Thread: Must use clear flood mode when starting

Fuel Injected!

Must use clear flood mode when starting

I converted my truck (95 TBI 5.7) to TPI last summer but havent had much of a chance to work or drive it that much.
    But for some reason I am noticing that the times that I get a crank no start i need to hit the pedal to get it to start. Eventually it does, and runs somewhat well, although the tunerpro logs show the truck is running very rich at light throttle.
    So basically it's flooding on crank, while at light throttle (1200rpm) BLM bottoms out. It also starts to run a bit rough as well.
    Fuel pressure is about 45 at idle, and if I remember that might be a little high for tuned port.
    Southbay posted the voltage offsets for the 22lb injectors recently, but I havent used them yet. Their values are higher than what I was told to use. And if I were to use higher values, does that not mean that the injectors stay open even longer, worsening the problem?
    If I need to post tunerpro logs and bin let me know.

1992 Camaro Z28 5.7
    1995 Silverado 5.7 TPI

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    I converted my truck (95 TBI 5.7) to TPI last summer but havent had much of a chance to work or drive it that much.
    But for some reason I am noticing that the times that I get a crank no start i need to hit the pedal to get it to start. Eventually it does, and runs somewhat well, although the tunerpro logs show the truck is running very rich at light throttle.
    So basically it's flooding on crank, while at light throttle (1200rpm) BLM bottoms out. It also starts to run a bit rough as well.
    Fuel pressure is about 45 at idle, and if I remember that might be a little high for tuned port.
    Southbay posted the voltage offsets for the 22lb injectors recently, but I havent used them yet. Their values are higher than what I was told to use. And if I were to use higher values, does that not mean that the injectors stay open even longer, worsening the problem?
    If I need to post tunerpro logs and bin let me know.
    Look at startup and choke fueling. With MPFI you will not need nearly as much as TBI. Look at a 4.3 CPI bin for a better starting point.

Fuel Injected!
    I see under Cranking Fuel Parameters, Crank BPW vs Temperature. It looks like 4.3 CPI is anywhere from 20%-40% lower than stock BJYL. I can adjust this, although there are 9 other parameters.

Also, I noticed AUJP has Crank pulse width in microseconds. 4000 for example at 20c. But this CPI bin has 34.4 at 20c. Is the CPI one in miliseconds? That seems like a massive difference if so, 4ms vs 34ms.
    Last edited by pro; 04-06-2018 at 04:59 AM.

1992 Camaro Z28 5.7
    1995 Silverado 5.7 TPI

Are the TPI injectors being fired at the rate of "once every 4th distributor reference pulse" (DRP)?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    I see under Cranking Fuel Parameters, Crank BPW vs Temperature. It looks like 4.3 CPI is anywhere from 20%-40% lower than stock BJYL. I can adjust this, although there are 9 other parameters.

Also, I noticed AUJP has Crank pulse width in microseconds. 4000 for example at 20c. But this CPI bin has 34.4 at 20c. Is the CPI one in miliseconds? That seems like a massive difference if so, 4ms vs 34ms.
    I honestly do not remember, but 34.4 microseconds is 3.4 msec. I just know the CPI settings worked well on my TPI 305 G20 when I was working with it. Mine actually ran a little too lean immediately after startup.

Fuel Injected!
    According to google's conversion calculator, a milisecond is 1000 microseconds (34.4 microseconds = 0.0344 miliseconds).
    Dave - yes I did the jumper wire on the memcal as the doc explained.

1992 Camaro Z28 5.7
    1995 Silverado 5.7 TPI

The attached .xdl files are from a $OD TPI conversion, with vortec heads.

The attached $OD .bin file is for "comparison purposes only" DO NOT USE (your engine will EXPLODE!) YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Oh wow those crank BPW values are much smaller than even 8D TPI.
    And I assume that the BPW value in 0D is measured in milliseconds times 10, which I think is a centisecond. A value for example is 34, so 3.4ms. It would only make sense, since AUJP is in usec for sure, and an example is 3400.
    I plugged in the values from your Vortec MPFI and it started right up, thanks. Now moving on to why its bogging at 1000rpm standing still.

1992 Camaro Z28 5.7
    1995 Silverado 5.7 TPI