Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: narrow band autometer gauge

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Years ago I rigged up a 7747 with power, ALDL and O2 for the 1 volt and did get a steady reading, more of an experimant to me and forget all the changes needed but did work, it was just a jury rig situation to help a guy tune his carb. But your right even with another sensor the ECM will still throw cross counts, now if you add another sensor and can get clean 1.0 volt it does work. Why bother? I don't know...
    See the enlarged and bolded text for your reason why it didn't swing. ;)

So you got the gauge, was there any info on how to get a NB O2 sensor powered for gauge without ECM? Depending on ECM I have seen some stop cross counts in certain situations. Like my LT1 in WOT I get steady o2 readings from each side. No cross counts...
    The O2 does not require power to work, unless there is a heater element. The O2 sensor creates it's own signal voltage. To use a NB gauge, all you would have to do is connect the gauge as normal, and connect the signal wire directly to the O2, no extra circuits needed.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

i have a 4wire 02 sensor. i guess you could call it that. the 2 grounds are hooked together. 1 power and 1 signal. was just wondering if it was because it was a newer 02 sensor that i was getting the movement or if it is just going to do that. when i floor it it goes to the second bar on the rich side. so what yall are saying is i am doing ok.

Fuel Injected!
    Yes as long as the computer does cross-counts the gauge will fluxuate, sorry my previous answer was misleading. Isolating the gauge's sender will just slow it some.

You could try cutting proportional gains some, (to slow or narrow the swing), that's what drives the crosscounts.

Some guys narrow the o2 volt window.

Fuel Injected!
    I think the others were dead on saying that it's near pointless to run a narrowband O2 gauge.

Just my .02, but the only things a narrowband is good for (outside of it's intended OEM purpose) that might be useful on a gauge, is to ensure that you aren't going lean at WOT, and to ensure that your O2 sensor is swinging back and forth over stoich as it should be. If you are closed loop and it's not swinging under cruise conditions for instance, obviously something is wrong, but even then it's not necessarily showing a problem with the O2 sensor.

The "accuracy window" if you will, of a narrowband O2 sensor is so small that outside of over or under 14.7:1, the "voltage away from 14.7:1" is near meaningless.

However, if you stomp on the gas, and the gauge shows lean, you have a problem, so for crude WOT tuning (which is what I have to do, with no WBO2 myself) it could be useful for that. If you are datalogging for tuning though, having an O2 gauge is pointless, because you can see what the O2 is doing without having to physically watch a gauge.