Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TBI ignition control module

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    I've been doing these swaps for abut 10 years. I seem to remember looking at many pumps when I first tried switching. Chrysler pumps are similar also but they use a "pump module" which doesn't have a separate pump. I *believe* that the Ford pump may have been cheapest. Or it was the only one available that day and I've just continued using that same part.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic...
    I believe in '95 the Cherokee went to a pump module, but the pump is replaceable by itself, as that's what we replaced. the bosch pump originally came with a sock which is inserted over a post with a circlip holding it on, sounds like your ford pump. I will try to get pictures.

Fuel Injected!

I agree that the "wierd" timing values posted by grumbolt appear to be normal values misrepresented by the datalog software. It's possible to edit the definition file so the timing displays correctly.

excuse the noobness, but what would have to be changed? and would it be in the A217 $0D TP5 v250.adx file?

would it be as simple as changing the "range low" in the picture to a negative number?
    spark definition.JPG
    Last edited by grumbolt; 03-26-2021 at 02:22 PM. Reason: added photo / question

Fuel Injected!
    Acdelco TPI pump (Left) & Bosch Cherokee pump (Right)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by grumbolt View Post
    excuse the noobness, but what would have to be changed? and would it be in the A217 $0D TP5 v250.adx file?

would it be as simple as changing the "range low" in the picture to a negative number?
    spark definition.JPG
    Hi,

I apologize for missing this question.

In the right side of the picture, below the box with the formula, you must check "signed" to indicate to the computer it should interpret the data as positive or negative numbers. As you guessed, the "Range Low" must be lowered. I believe -25 should be good. I will attempt to look through notes or other files to double check that the formula is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    Acdelco TPI pump (Left) & Bosch Cherokee pump (Right)

That looks like the two style pumps. Most of the Bosch pumps look similar. Some of the early TPI Y cars used Bosch pumps. Like the Ford cousins, they seemed to last much longer than the OE Delco models. Maybe the replacement models fit with no additional modifications.

I'm thinking I used the Ford version because it's stocked at the local store and because it has worked for me repeatedly.

Fuel Injected!
    Bosch p/n 69225 is equivalent of the EP381 (vortec trucks) and will interchange with TBI & TPI pumps. I will use this in the future, thank you for your information.

Fuel Injected!
    Hi,

I apologize for missing this question.

In the right side of the picture, below the box with the formula, you must check "signed" to indicate to the computer it should interpret the data as positive or negative numbers. As you guessed, the "Range Low" must be lowered. I believe -25 should be good. I will attempt to look through notes or other files to double check that the formula is correct.

awesome! thanks

should i also change the "alarm low" value as well? and if so, what value would you suggest?
    Last edited by grumbolt; 04-03-2021 at 06:19 PM.

Administrator
    should i also change the "alarm low" value as well? and if so, what value would you suggest?
    The alarm values cause the software to provide a warning. If you'd like to prevent the warnings you can adjust the alarm low.

Fuel Injected!
    The alarm values cause the software to provide a warning. If you'd like to prevent the warnings you can adjust the alarm low.
    thanks!

Electronic Ignition!
    So this is gonna sound crazy, but to your carburetor statement, I just happened to go to the junkyard this past week and lo-n-behold there it was...... An Old Electronic Q-Jet and HEI setup on a still in the Camaro 350 with ECM and all !!??!! I'll be back to maybe grab the whole Engine altogether with harness, comp, probably for couple hundred since apparently from the looks of it , it's been there for @ least 10-15 yrs,and no one is interested! As to my own issue of a 4.3 to 350 transplant with some kinda crazy logic of a Turbo 400 Trans behind the V-6 and the impossible task of finding a .bin that doesn't exist.... well it actually does. I "THINK" it's been right in front of everyones nose but several members had tried figuring out to no avail. I've got a post about this transplant eating my lunch on the timing and trans side all the way from the ECM to the ESC module. Tell me what you guys think. To me it appears the reason there will be no kickdown switch on a 89' model with a Turbo 400 because it in fact DOES NOT NEED IT to physically be there anymore. And I spent quite a bit of time hunting it on this factory 89'c1500 and it is NOWHERE to be found. I can't match the right mask and bin but i will now that I'm certain it can only operate one way using ANY 3spd .bin by using the VSS, MAP and TPS deltas and data from brake switches to operate the kickdown solenoid in trans that used to need the switch before 1227747 ECM and pin A7's control over it. It's not TCC to chase after because after all... it doesn't have one. However ALL the timing corrections, AE, PE, and every problem my truck is experiencing I believe is bieng cause by just the Turbo 400"s tunes operation not being understood and set properly for not the listed TCC stuff thats everywhere in the.XDF,confusing as hell and garbled up to look all important, but the items that need set for TRANS KICKDOWN to be handled, even though it's not actually listed in there in a way only GM engineers could undestand !!!!!!!!! Sorry for the rant but I been BEAT DOWN by this SIMPLE swap. 12 yrs I worked for them guys n NEVER saw a need for a Turbo 400 behind a V-6....or ever even saw such an animal till now. Like real Unicorns!!

Electronic Ignition!
    Also speaking of pumps, When the vehicle was backfiring and sputtering during trying to find out if this or that .bin was gonna work I knew it sure felt lean and no power. I didn't know wether it in fact was and it seemed impossible that it could be, since I had just replaced the pump and stariner in the early diagnostics with a factory DELCO 386 or 381 whatever it was and strainer. I usually keep both the 96' and up Truck pump and the one for TBI just for general purposes. Now I just kinda stumbled upon it needing a pump on top of everything else, by running the pressure test FIRST, since thats what it felt like at first. Whats the strangest thing is it was running fine for the customer prior to the engine swap, and he mentioned nothing about either shifting issues or power problems. Just the fact the enginge needed to come out and EVERY gasket on it replaced due to oil pouring out, and the timing chain being able to almost touch together when sqeezed in the middle....so I actually talked him into the swap since I basically would need to build an engine it might as well be the 350 sitting in the corner of the shop. That's how it started. When I took the fuel filter off to due the test it was immediately clear someone had put a top quality chinese filter on it that when shaken made a quaint rattle paint can sound, which might have explained the fact it had been running on 2 psi of pressure,...yes 2 psi of pressure, for I have no idea how long. But over my carreer I've seen some TBI's run at that astonishingly low pressure, and the customer is definitely a speed limit obeyer on his way to church every Sunday, which might be why he didn't mention any issues other than the oil pourin out! So I thought "well since it's gotta have the injectors swapped from V-6 to V-8, and this tune's being cantankerous, I'll play it safe and use the adjustable regulator setup I had used with success on my 383 build with the hogged out TBI and 454 injectors"..... dammit at 12.8 volts, and the regulator cranked all the way down, that DELCO can only manage a measly 11 psi a fuel pressure, and that was DEADHEADED!!!!! So since I've been independant mostly working all makes and models for about 15 yrs I'll have to throw my hat in the DENSO ring. It just seems not a single manufacturer can make decent reliable ANYTHING these days. Carter, Delco, Airtex, Bosch all have taken a nosedive on quality and reliability. And to me it's not just degrading quality of pumps and such, but rather everything seems cheaper and more expensive. Getting harder to go with brand X you use to count on. I purchased a timing set by "Cloyes", the american company that's been around for longer than I have been alive, and I probably first used in 1985 Autoshop in high school. It was for the depressingly engineered 3.6 Cadillac SRX I think, and even though MOST of the parts in the really complex kit looked good to me, there was that one double sprocket idler that I could tell didn't match the othe component's in the kit. It went about 5 min before I shut it down just in time to NOT have to buy that cust a new engine. It had seized and snapped off the bolt.but the case wouldn't let it get far enough out to bend any valves. I called the company to express my shock at what happened only to find they know about the poor quality parts causing issues ....... but yet they are still selling the kit........knowing. SERIOUSLY guy admitted they knew which was just even more depressing. They warrantied the part but I chose to go back with the I believe 6th design factory GM components at three times my quoted price. The sun is out today, I was smart enough to grab that diode or rectifier(?) right by my trucks ECM that when I think the TCC on the truck tried to engage or whatever had blown, I got a new ESC module, and hopefully my G1 adapter and 24 pin prom socket conversion and a new calibration will cure my Blues.... that and some good music....Black Label Society or VolBeat or Shamans Harvest..... yeah gonna be a good day!