Thread: mounting missing tooth wheel to crankshaft pulley

Carb and Points!

mounting missing tooth wheel to crankshaft pulley

Since this is my first post, I'm not sure if the pictures I uploaded will show up - but here goes:

I'm mounting a missing tooth wheel to a crank pulley on a 77 Ford F150 using some threaded rods going threw holes drilled in the pulley. The engine has been balanced so I'm wondering if the wheel is off ever so slightly that it will cause problems when the engine is running at high rpms. You can see by the pictures I only have 2 threaded rods holding it. I plan on drilling two more. I had to center it by just 'eye-balling' it. The wheel and hall-effect switch (not shown) is from diyautotune.com

Thanks,
    Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (156.0 KB, 29 views)
    • File Type: jpg 11.jpg (136.1 KB, 25 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (134.3 KB, 24 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (128.3 KB, 24 views)

Administrator
    Welcome to gearhead-efi.

If you look at the pulley you'll see that it fits snugly on a raised portion of the balancer. That's what keeps the pulley centered so the bolts only need to keep the pulley attached. This pilot is critical to making sure the pulley doesn't move off-center. Does the missing tooth wheel have some type of pilot or centering method? If not then I'd plan on more work.

Fuel Injected!
    If you put that wheel against the pulley then I doubt the sensor will pick-up a signal from it. floating it out in space on 4 threaded rods doesn't look stiff enough to me. If it starts to vibrate, the vibrations could easily amplify enough it wipe out the sensor.

The better place is right against the balancer. Space out the accessories so the belts still line up. You'd have to find a shop that could cut the right diameter of center hole or buy another wheel with the right diameter of center hole. If you fit the wheel behind the pulley would the centering flange on the balancer still center the pulley?

Fuel Injected!
    You may want to go back to diyautitune and ask for their recommendation. They may have another wheel which better lends itself to your engine application. I would be very reluctant to trust the setup you have now. I was also having doubts that your sensor will be able to pickup a signal. You may also want to ask the question on the MegaSquirt forums as to how others dealt with this on their ford engines.
    Last edited by Eds; 03-22-2018 at 07:04 AM.

Carb and Points!
    Good advice. I went ahead and took it off for now. Thanks.