Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a Holley TBI for $5........

Found a Holley TBI for $5........

I found this at a swap meet. I paid $5 for it...... It doesn't have injectors in it and the IAC hole is blank, not drilled or tapped.....

Anybody have any experience with these? I would never pay full retail for one, but since I got it for $5 and I have a pretty stout TBI I'm now working on, I'm going to explore the possibility of using it.

Administrator
    I have experience with the early GM replacement TBI units. They are similar to the unit pictured with IAC included. They were problematic and in the applications I worked on we replaced them with OE equipment for reliability and predictability. Holley has redesigned their replacement TB's and I'm told they produce a better part now. Current versions use Delphi injectors and have an injector pod similar to an OE pod from the medium duty truck applications.

Interesting. I found this post where the guy used a GM injector pod/injectors on the Holley TB..... All I really would want is the larger bores of the Holley TB, the GM injectors are probably more reliable, easier to setup etc. like you say. Check this out and let me know what you think?

http://z28boy.cz28.com/throttlebody.htm

Administrator
    I don't know if the new design Holley TB is close enough to the old for the pods to work. If it does, then be sure to check for excessive throttle shaft wear (it allows air to leak in when the throttle is closed) before placing the TB into service.

Yes good call my friend. Actually when I was looking at this throttle body it is less worn out then all the stock GM ones. Probably never saw much if any use. I'll know later tonight if the pods will work.

It looks like it will fit. There are a couple of "nubs" on the bottom of the injector pod that will have to be ground off first.

I'm trying to figure out what the IAC thread is to drill and tap this TB. It looks to be a NPT.... I'm going to drill and tap a test hole to confirm that.

Fuel Injected!
    The link I posted...I forgot to mention that the op probably smoked the first fastener down then couldn't get the remaining two aligned/started so he said he had to enlarge two holes. That is false, three mounting screws align just fine.

Yeah more than likely lol. I haven't bolted them together yet, but the three bolt holes line up just fine. Really even two would be enough to hold it in place. The throttle body I ran on this truck in the past before I built this 355 for it was just that way. One of the three injector pod holes was stripped out. I'm excited about the prospect of using this Holley TB with a GM injector pod.

I have never seen one of these TBs in person until I stumbled upon this one. Man the throttle bores are massive compared to a stock TB.

Fuel Injected!
    I have never seen one of these TBs in person until I stumbled upon this one. Man the throttle bores are massive compared to a stock TB.[/QUOTE]

What’s “Massive” are they really that big?

Fuel Injected!
    Same as your bbc one in terms of bore size.

I believe stew is correct! I have never seen a BBC TB in person. I find from a little searching that a BBC TB should be 645 CFM and the Holley one here is rated at 670 CFM, so not much difference.

The 4.3, 5.0 and 5.7 TB measures 1.680" on the bores.

This Holley unit measures 2.042" on the bores.

very nice, I have an extreme EFI throttle body bore on my 5.7 throttle body and it measures 1-31/32 of an inch. they say it flows 720cfm.
    *pretty sure I got it from extreme EFI.

Quote Originally Posted by tamperedchevy View Post
    very nice, I have an extreme EFI throttle body bore on my 5.7 throttle body and it measures 1-31/32 of an inch. they say it flows 720cfm.
    *pretty sure I got it from extreme EFI.
    Cool. Got any pics of your setup? I have been having fun stomping ass around town in my sleeper truck with the S475 6.0 build I finished not too long ago. This K5 I'm also working on I decided to keep it SBC and TBI. I considered doing another LS swap since that turned out so well but I decided to keep this truck a SBC with TBI for two reasons. One is that TBI is what I learned on. The other reason is that I really want to see just how far I can push a TBI system. It's fun for me becuase TBI was never intended to be a high performance application, and most people are pretty ignorant of what they can do.

Ditch the stock puny TBI cam, corked up exhaust, sort out the tune, and either port the 193 heads or swap heads and you have a really strong engine. Since there are forged flattops in this engine I built I would love to also boost this one!!! Found a Whipple supercharger on my local Craigslist but it got away!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bokepid View Post
    terima kasih banyak

Where the fuck are all the mods? Somebody needs to dust off the banhammer around here.

I obtained a M20x1.5 tap and have drilled and tapped a hole for the IAC. The last remaining thing will be to clearance out the TBI to carb manifold adapter plate, it hits the larger throttle blades on opening.

Fuel Injected!
    We need more pictures