Thread: Found a Holley TBI for $5........

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Found a Holley TBI for $5........

I found this at a swap meet. I paid $5 for it...... It doesn't have injectors in it and the IAC hole is blank, not drilled or tapped.....

Anybody have any experience with these? I would never pay full retail for one, but since I got it for $5 and I have a pretty stout TBI I'm now working on, I'm going to explore the possibility of using it.

Administrator
    I have experience with the early GM replacement TBI units. They are similar to the unit pictured with IAC included. They were problematic and in the applications I worked on we replaced them with OE equipment for reliability and predictability. Holley has redesigned their replacement TB's and I'm told they produce a better part now. Current versions use Delphi injectors and have an injector pod similar to an OE pod from the medium duty truck applications.

Interesting. I found this post where the guy used a GM injector pod/injectors on the Holley TB..... All I really would want is the larger bores of the Holley TB, the GM injectors are probably more reliable, easier to setup etc. like you say. Check this out and let me know what you think?

http://z28boy.cz28.com/throttlebody.htm

Administrator
    I don't know if the new design Holley TB is close enough to the old for the pods to work. If it does, then be sure to check for excessive throttle shaft wear (it allows air to leak in when the throttle is closed) before placing the TB into service.

Yes good call my friend. Actually when I was looking at this throttle body it is less worn out then all the stock GM ones. Probably never saw much if any use. I'll know later tonight if the pods will work.

It looks like it will fit. There are a couple of "nubs" on the bottom of the injector pod that will have to be ground off first.

I'm trying to figure out what the IAC thread is to drill and tap this TB. It looks to be a NPT.... I'm going to drill and tap a test hole to confirm that.